House of Commons Nigel Evans Who Came Out in 2010 Resigns


  • Nigel Evans
     
  • Nigel Evans: "I will robustly defend my innocence"
  •  Conservative MP Nigel Evans has resigned as Commons Deputy Speaker, after being charged with offences including sexual assault, indecent assault and rape.
  • Mr Evans is accused of eight offences in total dating between 2002 and 2013, the Crown Prosecution Service said.
  • There are seven alleged victims.
  • The 55-year-old MP for Ribble Valley denies any wrongdoing and pledged to continue to represent his constituents from the backbenches.
  • 'Continue to work'
  • In a statement to reporters after being charged, he said: "May I reassure everyone at this time that I will robustly defend my innocence.
  • "I have today answered bail following complaints I have said were incredulous.
  • "Whilst I am saddened that this case has not been closed today, I am certain of two things: firstly that I am innocent, and secondly that my innocence will be demonstrated.
  •  Quote:

  •  We have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and that it is in the public interest to prosecute”
  • Keir Starmer
  • Director of Public Prosecutions for England and Wales
  • "Having informed my fellow deputy Speakers Lindsay Hoyle and Dawn Primarolo, my association chairman and staff, I can confirm I will now resign as deputy speaker.
  • "However, I will continue to work hard for the people of Ribble Valley from the backbenches where I first started my political career in 1992."
  • 'Media interest'
  • He pledged to do his best to tackle local problems such as the "crisis of extra house-building" and cuts to rural bus services.
  • Mr Evans finished: "I appreciate that this case will create a great deal of media interest, but after today I will not be making any further comment until after the case concludes."
  • The director of public prosecutions for England and Wales said the decision to charge Mr Evans had been taken after careful consideration.
  • Keir Starmer added: "We have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and that it is in the public interest to prosecute.
  • Continue reading the main story
  • Nigel Evans' career
  • Vice-chairman of the Conservative Party from 1999 to 2001
  • Promoted to shadow Welsh secretary in 2001 for two years
  • Elected as one of three Commons deputy Speakers in 2010
  • Later that year he came out as gay, saying he was "tired of living a lie"
  • Resigned as deputy Speaker in September 2013 after being charged with offences including sexual assault, indecent assault and rape
  • Has been MP for Ribble Valley in Lancashire since 1992
  • "Lancashire Constabulary has therefore been authorised to charge two counts of indecent assault, five counts of sexual assault and one count of rape relating to a total of seven alleged victims."
  • Mr Evans is expected to appear before Preston Magistrates' Court on 18 September.
  • The two indecent assaults are alleged to have been committed between 1 January 2002 and 1 January 2004, the five sexual assaults allegedly happened between 1 January 2009 and 1 April 2013, and the alleged rape between 29 March and 1 April 2013.
  • Mr Evans, from Pendleton in Lancashire, answered bail on Tuesday having previously been arrested in May and June.
  • He was re-arrested and interviewed by detectives throughout the day before being charged in the evening.
  • In May, Mr Evans dismissed the original allegations against him as "completely false", and said they had been made by two people he had "regarded as friends".
  • He was elected as one of three Commons deputy Speakers in 20.
Deputy House of Commons Speaker Nigel Evans has said he is "overwhelmed" by the support he has received since being arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault.
The Conservative MP, who denies any wrongdoing, said he had gone through the "worst two days of my life", but added that he was back at work.
Mr Evans said he would be in the Commons for Wednesday Queen's Speech.
He was questioned by Lancashire police on Saturday.
Mr Evans, facing allegations he raped a man and sexually assaulted another, has asked to be excused from chairing debates on the Queen's Speech.
'Fantastic support'
Making a statement on College Green, near Parliament, he said: "I've been in work since half past seven this morning getting on with looking at many of the emails that have come in, not just from constituents but from throughout the world, giving me support and sympathy for what I'm alleged to have done.
"I'm overwhelmed with the number of colleagues who have come up to me as well who are basically, you know MPs don't shake hands, well I have never shaken so many MPs' hands as I have today, and giving me support, which is really helping me to get through this."
Mr Evans said he was continuing work for his Ribble Valley constituency, which had shown him "fantastic support" over the "worst two days of my life".
He said he was having "just a few days off chair duty" but would continue having his regular meetings with Commons Speaker John Bercow.
Mr Evans' solicitor has already said the MP does not intend to quit as deputy speaker or as an MP.
The 55-year-old was questioned on Saturday about the alleged attacks on two men between July 2009 and March 2013 in Pendleton, Lancashire, and bailed until June.
Mr Evans, MP for Ribble Valley since 1992 - who came out as gay in 2010 - was elected as one of three Commons deputy speakers three years ago.
BBC

Comments