Chris Martin Talks About His Struggles Fighting The Idea He Might Be Gay


 

USA TODAY
Coldplay's Chris Martin is being frank about his childhood struggles.
In an interview with Rolling Stone published on Tuesday, Martin shared he went through a rough time as a teen because he didn't fit in with the boys at his boarding school.
"I don't know, I was just going through some stuff with religion and sexuality and everything … like most kids at that age," Coldplay's frontman said.
In explaining his relationship with religion, Martin revealed he struggled with his sexuality for a bit when he was younger.
"When I went to boarding school, I walked a bit funny and I bounced a bit and I was also very homophobic because I was like, 'If I’m gay, I’m completely (expletive) for eternity,' and I was a kid like discovering sexuality," Martin said. "I was terrified." The Grammy-winning artist recalled that his classmates would tell him with the conviction that he was gay.
"I was in a boarding school with a bunch of quite hardcore kids who were also gone for their thing and, for a few years, they would very much say, 'You’re definitely gay,' in quite a full-on manner, quite aggressively telling me that and it was weird for me for a few years," Martin said.
Chris Martin shares his struggle with his sexuality as a young teen.
Martin added when he was younger he didn't know if he was gay and thought that even if he was, he thought it was wrong.
"I don't know and even if I am, I can't be because it's wrong," Martin said he thought at the time, adding he started to worry about being gay.
He said there came a time where he stopped worrying about being gay, which he attributed to gaining more exposure to the world and recognizing that some of his heroes are gay. 
"About 15 and a half, I don't know what happened, I was like, 'Yeah, so what?' and then it all just stopped overnight. It was very interesting," Martin said. "So what that did was ease a big pressure and then made me question, like 'Hey maybe some of this stuff that I’m learning about God and everything' … I'm not sure if I subscribe to all of this particular religion."
 Martin was married to Gwyneth Paltrow for 10 years before the two divorced in 2016. They share two kids together, daughter Apple, 15, and son Moses, 13.

Comments