Tony Perking Parts Bread with Jennifer Chrisler. the Bread was Moldy


Anti-Gay Leader Takes Up Lesbian’s Dinner Invitation

Adam Gonzalez for adamfoxie*
Tony Perkins, head of  the designated anti-LGBT hate group the Family Research Council, has taken up a lesbian equality leader’s invitation to dine with her family.
Tony Perkins, who heads the Family Research Council in Washington, received the invitation after telling CNN’s Brooke Baldwin on Thursday that he’d never been to the home of a married same-sex couple.
“My wife and I will be glad to respond when we receive the invitation to find a time that works,” Perkins said in a statement to CNN on Monday, referring to the invitation.
[...]
The invitation to Perkins came from Jennifer Chrisler, the executive director of a gay rights group called Family Equality Council. Chrisler and her wife have twin 10-year-old boys, with another child on the way.
Perkins’ group has been a leading force in anti-marriage equality actions in Washington and around the United States. His group has also vociferously protested the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” claiming that the repeal would sexualize the military and lead to religious soldiers being persecuted for their beliefs.
I watched with interest your appearance on CNN Thursday and I was struck by your steadfast opposition to full equality for the 1 million lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender parents who are raising 2 million children in our country today. It is especially concerning given your lack of meaningful and personal interaction with those families.
I, like you, am a parent. Like you, my spouse and I have shared many years together committed to our family, our community, and to making the world a better place. I imagine we share many of the same joys and struggles in doing the important work of raising our children and contributing meaningfully to our community. We attend church regularly and our children attend Sunday school weekly. We love our children intensely and feel a deep desire to protect and nurture them as they continue along their journey to adulthood. We are also anxiously awaiting the arrival of our third child, due in August, and have worked since his conception to ensure his health and welfare. This is the face of the one million families you have taken no time to get to know.
I think if you could spend meaningful time with any of us, you would find we share many of the same values that you have worked to teach your own children. So it is with that in mind that I come to you with this sincere offer. I would like to extend an open invitation for you and your family to visit my home and have dinner with my spouse and children with the full hope that you will witness the love that exists in our families. While I recognize it may not change your mind, I hope that it might soften your heart.
As Christians, I think we can both agree that ours is not to judge and that we must live by the golden rule. I open my table to you and invite you to get to know me and my family.
LGBT commentators have become increasingly frustrated with the mainstream media’s insistence on treating Tony Perkins as a counter to pro-LGBT rights stances as though his narrow, religious inspired views, which have been called biased by the Southern Poverty Law Centre, are equivalent to evidence-based equality arguments.

 

Comments