Everybody Seems to be Red Hot For 22 yr Rupert Grint


Why the worlds hot for Rupert Grint
The Harry Potter star talks about snogging Emma, going nude and what’s next after a teenage life of adoration and wizardry...
Rupert Grint is very normal. As normal as any 22-year-old man arriving in a blacked-out chauffeurdriven car might be. As normal as anyone who has their own publicist can be (one of the best in the business, whose clients include Michael Sheen and Sir Ian McKellen). He has his own assistant, too: a lovely (and reassuringly mouthy) woman who’s been with him almost from day one. As we chat casually between shots, she tells me about the odd times, usually in Europe, when she’s feared for his safety after being surrounded by mobs of Potter-mad teens, and it’s only then that you realise just how abnormal, in the nicest possible way, Rupert Grint’s life is. (In fact it’s rammed home throughout the day as we shoot in the street outside the East London studio we’re in, when a group of builders and then two police cars full of policemen turn up to pretend not to watch).

Plucked from a normal life as a 10-year-old after he entered a competition on Newsround to audition for a part in the fi lm version of the then already very popular Harry Potter books, he was whipped up into the entertainment stratosphere in a fl ash. He made fl esh one of the most beloved literary characters of our time in eight smash-hit movies, earned quite a few millions (which are locked away in Gringott’s goblin vault, no doubt) and is now making the most of a springboard into an adult fi lm career that most young actors would kill for.

Wearing the same battered old shoes he’s apparently had for the past five years (though he wears a posh Issey Miyake sweater and flashes a band of Alexander McQueen underwear), unlike Daniel Radcli e who is a ball of nervous energy, Rupert Grint is completely understated, quiet and shy. He’s utterly charming and sweet, gently blokey, completely unlike Ron – more subdued if you can believe it. But he brings with him a vulnerability that makes you want to cuddle him up and take him o to Center Parcs for a nice weekend away from it all. But maybe that’s just me.

But this isn’t the time to retreat. By the time you read this, the last fi lm – Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 – will be everywhere. And by everywhere I mean EVERYWHERE. For Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley, this is the end. But not for Rupert Grint. He has already had big parts in two small haven’t seen it yet. We probably won’t see it until about three days before the premiere at the cast and crew screening. There’s quite a lot of emotional stuff as we lose a lot of characters. Fred (one of Ron’s brothers) gets killed. There’s quite an emotional scene with all the Weasleys huddled around this dead body. It was really quite chilling. This castle that we’ve known for all these years crumbling to this pile of rubble and there are fire and bodies everywhere – lots of bodies, it’s quite dark. There are lots of scenes where we’re running through sets on fire with things exploding. There was one huge scene running through this courtyard with giants smashing things down. It’s really full-on.


A Has it been hard having your adolescence in front of the whole world?R I don’t know any different really. It’s been a long time since I saw any of the early films. I’m not embarrassed about them but we see them about six times at all the premieres. I recently saw shots of my first screen test. It was really, really weird. You can really gauge how long this has all been when you look at that. They had a clip of another potential Ron acting with Dan and Emma. He was really good as well. I would have picked him!

A You’ll have had a lot of attention growing up from fans both male and female. How was that for you?R Yeah, I don’t know. Just being recognised is a weird concept that I’ve struggled with. People want you to put your name on a bit of paper. I guess I’ve kind of grown with it. It’s become weirdly routine, normal. I’m used to it now. Having some gay fans is cool. It’s very flattering, definitely. It’s always nice, always cool.

A What were your favourite films when you were growing up?R I loved Edward Scissorhands and Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory. Anything a little bit weird has always appealed to me.

A What superhero would you like to be?R Probably Spiderman, which is a strange choice because I’m arachnophobic. I totally hate spiders. It’s really affected my life. I check my shoes every time I put them on. I check all my bed sheets and pillows. I’m going to Australia in a few weeks. I’ve never been before. It’s always stopped me films, Wild Target and Cherrybomb. Though neither were significant hits, he proved his acting stripes away from the world of Hogwarts. As the celluloid world of Harry Potter comes to an end, it’s clear a new chapter is opening for the owner of one of the three most famous faces in modern cinema history.
THERE’S SUCH A BIG STIGMA ABOUT GINGER HAIR. I’VE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT DYEING OR CUTTING IT. IT’S PART OF WHO I AM
A How does it feel now Harry Potter is almost over?R It’s kind of strange. It’s taken a while to really get used to it. It’s been such a constant part of my life. Basically, my whole childhood. I think it’s the right time. It has taken over my life. I’m ready to do other things really and to move on. I’ve had my tonsils out and had some holidays!

A Was it sad to finish or was it more of a release?R It was kind of sad. An overwhelming feeling of both, really. There is a sense of release as well but there’s a bit of freedom now. I can do what I want. It’s nice –a really good feeling.

A I saw a clip of you, Daniel and Emma filming the last scene. How was that?R It was so weird that the last scene was so random: a green-screen shot of us jumping through a fireplace. That was it. It felt like all these years had ended with that. It was quite anticlimactic but it was a nice day. We had a barbecue. I brought my ice-cream van (Rupert bought one when he was 17). They had a mariachi band. It really was quite emotional, surprisingly. The crew played this video that they’d been putting together. They did this thing called the golden board, which was a few seconds’ shots of every single clapperboard from every day. It was very emotional to watch.

A I think it’s sad for audiences of the films. Considering how crazy the world is, there has been something comforting about the reliability of a Harry Potter film. Do you feel that warmth?R I’ve only recently become aware of that. We’re so engrossed in making them that you don’t realise what a big deal they are for people. It’s only when we go to premieres and see the excitement and enthusiasm that we realise that. It’s really nice.

A Do you manage to lead a normal life?R It’s pretty manageable. Pretty much everywhere I go I get recognised but I’ve never really found it a massive problem, I’ve never tried to hide from it. I’ve got a group of friends from school and we still keep in touch from the films.

A How did you get the part in the first place?R They did a campaign on Newsround for people to audition for the films. You had to send in an application form. My parents were all behind it. We never imagined anything would come of it as thousands of people auditioned. I was a really big fan of the books – I think there were three out then – and I always really liked Ron and the Weasleys. I did a bit of acting, some school plays, and had an interest in drama. I never got a reply until I sent in a videotape of me doing a rap. Then they called me in for months of auditions and screen tests and eventually gave it to me.

A Did you think, ‘Oh. My. God. I’m going be a movie star’?R No, not at all. It was possibly going to be just two films at the beginning. That’s all we were signed for. I was just enjoying missing a lot of school.

A Who are the most famous numbers you have on your phone?R I’ve actually got Dizzee Rascal. I met him at a basketball match. We’re not best mates, but that’s probably the coolest one.

A Is it weird having celebrities know you?R Yeah, it is. It’s only really the random people I get star-struck by. Like EastEnders people. And Alan Titchmarsh. I was starstruck by him! (Laughs) It’s true!

A I read that Madonna took her daughter to one of the premieres and Lourdes got really excited when she came face to face with Hermione in the ladies’ loos. Is it weird thinking that people like Madonna know who you are? I mean, the President of the United States must know who you are…R Yeah. She came to the set, actually… Michelle, with the kids. It was crazy. They basically took over the whole studio with their security. It was after he became President. He wasn’t there but I heard him on the phone talking. It was one of his daughter’s birthdays. They did this really big feast in the Great Hall for her with these big banners with her name on it. It was really cool. We met them… all of the Obama family and JK Rowling was there. The whole day was quite strange. I couldn’t really believe it.

A What did they say to you?R They said they were all big fans of the films and were really excited. They had a big tour of all the sets. We were eating cupcakes with the Obamas. That was really cool.

A The films have spawned lots of big stars, such as Robert Pattinson. Are you a fan of the Twilight films?R Yeah, definitely. There’s no rivalry. I’ve only seen one-and-a-half of them. My sisters love them. It’s great to see Robert in this huge thing. I was pleased for him.

A Do you keep in contact?R Not really. The last time I saw him was just before he got the Twilight job. I think it was at the fifth film premiere. He just happened to be walking past as he wasn’t originally invited because he wasn’t in that film. (Laughs).

A So to the future. You were great in Cherrybomb. That was quite saucy.R It was a bit, yeah.

A Was that a conscious decision to try to be a bit more grown-up and get away from Ron?R No, it wasn’t a conscious move to shock people. It happened quite quickly – in the space of a week I got the script and got on with it. I just really liked it and had the time to do it, which was really rare between films. It’s hard to fit things in but it worked out well in the end.

A Your next film is called Comrade and has an anti-war message. What’s that about?R It’s a true story set in the Second World War about two British and three German soldiers who shoot each other’s planes down in the middle of Norway. They land in this extreme minus-30 climate and they’re struggling to survive. They all arrive at an old hunter’s cabin and live together with the Nazis and gradually become friends. It was fun. I had to do a Scouse accent in this and a Northern Irish accent in Cherrybomb, so there’s a theme emerging. It’s a different war film to what we usually see. It doesn’t focus on the violence and brutality. It looks at the people and how they have to team together with the enemy to survive. It was quite refreshing to do.

A Is there a negative side to the future because nothing can ever top Harry Potter?R I don’t really think about it like that. I’m definitely aware that I won’t be in anything as big or as important as this again. I’m really proud to have been a part of it. It’s been amazing. I’m grateful as well. If it wasn’t for this I wouldn’t be on this path. I haven’t got a game plan. I’m all about anything with a good story and interesting characters that appeals to me.

A Would you ever do a nude scene like Daniel did in Equus?R I don’t know. Yeah, I think so. It takes a lot of guts, especially on stage. I really respect him for that. It depends if it was for an artistic reason (Laughs). I wouldn’t completely rule it out.

A We’ve got Nicola Roberts in this issue, too, and she has talked a lot about being bullied for being ginger. There seems to be a lot of crap about that from some people…R Yeah there is! I managed to avoid it. I never really got bullied for my red hair. I knew some kids who really struggled with it. It’s ridiculous. There’s such a big stigma about ginger hair. People think you’re geeky or this or that. It’s really weird. It’s never really bothered me or affected me too much. I’ve never ever thought about dyeing it or hiding it. It’s just part of who I am.

A Kids these days seem to use gay as a catchall insult, especially for any kids who are different regardless of whether they are gay or not. Did you get any homophobic bullying just because you were a boy doing drama?R Yeah. I went to an all boys’ school. We used to do school plays all the time. Because we didn’t have any girls I used to get all the female roles. I was the youngest in the class and my voice was the last to break, so I was usually playing the girl parts in the wigs and the dresses. I got a little bit of stick for that. I dressed up as a gypsy fortune-teller at one of the school fayres and it became, kind of, a regular thing, dressing up like this, and I got a little bit stick for that. I always had a good group of friends around me and it never really got me down.

A What would you say to kids being bullied for physical things or for being gay?R Hmm. It’s that weird school period when kids can be quite cruel. You’ve got to stick it out and just be strong. It’s hard to know what to do but you have to get through it. I’ve never been that confident. At school I was quite shy. It was through drama club and doing plays that I found my voice. If you’ve got something like drama you can do everything. It’s a really great thing for building up some confidence.

by  Attitude.co.uk





Comments