Mr. Gay Finalist is Different From All The Others


Shaneel Lal





Shaneel Lal Photo: RNZ

This posting is dedicated to all my dear gay readers but particularly one whom I'm sure will be emailing me.
A finalist for Mr. Gay 2020 is calling for more Pasifika voices to be heard in the rainbow community.
iTaukean Shaneel Lal is one of five finalists for the competition, who were announced last week. 
"I acknowledge that I am not only gay I am brown, but I also indigenous, I'm an immigrant, I'm feminine and English is not my first language," he said.
"I sit at the bottom of the queer social hierarchy, I cannot speak like an ordinary person to be heard, I have to scream to be a part of the discussion."
He said discrimination and struggles faced by his Pasifika peers motivated him to compete.
"Our narratives have not made it to the table of decision-making and so I insist on fighting a good fight until I can bring my whole community to the table." 
He said members of the queer community were five times more likely to commit suicide, so he wanted to get the conversation going.  
Since moving to New Zealand in high school he began working with the rainbow community and started a peer support group for queer youth, that was just the beginning of his journey. 
Living in South Auckland was a struggle, as he felt it was often a homophobic place. 
Winning would be an opportunity to be a voice for the community and a chance to advocate for better mental health. 
"This is bigger than any one cause, anyone competition it is about being able to work with and listen to the communities' needs." 
The competition was designed to find, build, and develop future leaders within the LGBTI community in New Zealand and around the world. 
Contestants were assessed on attributes that include leadership, relatability, communication, and their ability to engage with the wider LGBTI community.
The winner will have the opportunity to represent New Zealand at Mr. Gay World.
Voting has started and a winner will be announced as part of Auckland's Big Gay Out on Sunday.
RNZ

Comments

I like this guy - he's honest and he is saying things that no one wants to hear but everyone knows is true. That would literally never happen here in the US. Every contest for a "Mister {anything}" in the US gay community elects exactly the same interchangeable airbrushed model. If he is slightly older he is "MR Daddy". If he is slightly scruffy and wearing a vest, he is named "Mr Leather". All interchangeable, all extremely minor variations on the one acceptable look.

This dude from New Zealand, he's right. Guys like him are at the very bottom of the social hierarchy. In the US, he would rule the club scene, bachelorette party girls would flock around him and coo and giggle with their new 'gay friend'. But he'd always go home alone. Or else to an adult bookstore to anonymously service some random married guy.