Who is Dan Choi and Why is He Sad?


 I’ll be giving you the posting from the GuardianUk. It talks  
 about a buddy that served with him Lt. Choi.  I didn’t I only Marched with him at Central Park at the Annual AIDS Walk. The reason for it and not go ahead and write my stuff, which is probably a lot more than most gay bloggers could honestly tell about him.

Im going to skim through this to make my point at the end. Dan Choi 
is a hero in this country. He served honorably, serving as a fantastic 
translator and decoder.in Iraq he made friendships of the locals he
became in contact without being in a combat on those times with the locals and elders. 
He did nothing wrong but was kicked out because he is gay. 
Was he pissed? yes. Did he start a root movement here in the states
to bring gay rights to the forefront? yes. I could see he was getting burn out when after being interviewed for the gazillion time , he is having problems giving the answer so he repeats the answer he gave for the previous question. GOP and some Dems 
politcians tend to do that all their time. But he was not being evasive
he was just burnt out. Too bad.  He was carrying the torch alone and not having a partner or someone close to him that could help him.I don’t know if he is the type of person that accepts help from a trusted person near him. 
I have been reading today in tweeter from a Gay blogger or  commentator. The type on this and that and don’t  miss one of those meetings where you have food and booze and discuss civil rights and strategy. This bloggers comments was that he heard that Lt. Choi was sick but he could not give him empathy.. Why? He did not make it clear of what does it take for someone no to give empathy to a hero that is fighting for your cause but he is doing it in  way you disagree. I disagree with him in certain things but he got my empathy and passion,because he served, was fucked in the wrong place and then have to deal with his comrades that sound more like the enemy to him than the real enemy. 
Lt. Choi, wish you well. A lot of times I let people take a bite of the apple the first time, next time one goes looking to take one of you and I see, I will become very indignant.

Love you sir for what you have done for my country!,  Adam Gonzalez, Publisher
Dan Choi, an Iraq combat veteran who was discharged under 'don't ask, don't tell'
Former US army lieutenant Dan Choi, an Iraq combat veteran who was discharged under the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy, at an equality rally in Fresno, California, in 2009. Photograph: Gary Kazanjian/AP
The first time I saw Lt Dan Choi, he didn't mean much to me. He was the grand marshal of the San Francisco Gay Pride Parade, just a guy on top of a parade float. That was back in 2009, when he had just come out as a gay man on national television, jeopardizing his career as an Arabic linguist in the US army in his fight against Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT).
When I saw Lt Choi in San Francisco, I had been an out lesbian for six years and the gay rights movement was nothing new to me. However, his journey really started to resonate with me when I enlisted in December 2010 in a navy that was still operating under the policy of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I can still recall staring at the contract, in plain black and white, making me swear I would not commit "homosexual acts" while I was in the service. My family and friends were concerned about my decision to step back in the closet with this policy, which would require me – and hundreds of others like me – to live a lie.
Luckily, my time serving under the policy was short-lived. While I was in boot camp, we received word that DADT had been repealed. I let myself relax for the first time since enlistment. After all, a repeal meant there were no fights left to be fought, right?
I was wrong.
In the two years since I've joined the navy, I can honestly say there is more work than ever for the first generation of openly LGBT service members. Even with the repeal of DADT and the supreme court hearings regarding the Defense of Marriage Act and California's Proposition 8 this week, gay sailors, marines, soldiers and airmen continue to deal with harassment and prejudice. Even today, there can be lack of support for LGBT service personnel, and it's always difficult to shake the fear of coming out to anyone, much less to your superior officers.
They say the military is a microcosm of society, and that change takes time. Evolution can be a slow and painful thing. But change can't come fast enough for my fellow service members who still feel uncomfortable telling their co-workers about who they are, for fear of being treated differently.
To be fair, this is not true of many commands, but some commands are still very skittish about the "gay issue". I have been immensely fortunate to have supportive commands and shipmates, allying myself with supporters of every background during my time in the military. Support is on the rise, and the culture is evolving toward acceptance with every boot camp graduate.
I am often told how courageous I am for being vocal about gay rights issues in the military. I don't feel that way. For most of my career, I've been part of this pioneering generation of gay service members who can be as out as we want. I've been one of the lucky ones who has always had supportive commands and shipmates.
I didn't have to go to work every day hiding who I was for fear that one wrong misstep would cost me my job. I didn't have to sacrifice my career for what was right. I didn't have to face a discharge because I stood up and said "this is wrong". I didn't have to continue to defend myself in a court of law for doing what was right.
Dan Choi does.
Today, Choi is on trial, defending himself for speaking out against a policy that no longer exists and one which he has fought against for more than four years. Because of his courage, and the courage of countless other service members who were willing to take a stand, we have been able to change with the times and move forward as a culture within the military.
Last year during the Chicago Pride Parade, I had the opportunity to march alongside my shipmates as the Gay, Lesbian and Supportive Sailors (GLASS) organization, based out of nearby Naval Station Great Lakes. As we marched before more than 800,000 people, I looked out at the crowds and could see the faces of so many older gay and lesbian veterans who stopped and stared at us as we marched by. Their faces changed from surprise to tears and cheers as they saw out and proud sailors marching by without fear of discharge or reprisal. I was able to see what Dan Choi and others have fought for and hoped to one day see.
I'm proud to carry on the fight.

Comments