Antonio Cassano Wishes There Were No Homosexuals in The Italian Team


Antonio Cassano
Italy striker Antonio Cassano has apologised for comments he made about homosexuals on Tuesday.
The 29-year-old AC Milan forward claimed he hoped that there were no homosexuals in the Italy squad at Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.
But he subsequently released a statement insisting that he had been misinterpreted.
"I sincerely regret that my statements have sparked controversy and protest from gay rights groups," Cassano said.
"Homophobia is a sentiment that is not mine. I did not want to offend anyone and I can not question the sexual freedom of other people. 
"I only said that it is a problem that does not concern me and it is not for me to pass judgment on the choices of others, who are all respected."
Cassano was asked during a news conference whether he thought there were any homosexuals in Cesare Prandelli's 23-man squad.
He responded: "The coach warned me that you would ask me this question. If I say what I think... I hope there are none."
Cassano started Sunday's 1-1 draw with Spain just eight months after undergoing heart surgery.
He was taken ill on the team's plane following Milan's 3-2 win over Roma in October.
Cassano returned to club duty in April but admits that he never expected to feature for the national team this summer.
He added: "I honestly didn't think I would play at the European Championship. I was scared.
"When you arrive to a certain point where it is a case of live or die, everything else becomes secondary.
"I saw the future as grey, very grey, but fortunately I am here. I have been blessed, and even if I am not a believer I do feel I have been blessed."

Comments