Brett Ratner Barely Non-apology for Using Gay Slur



[Image via Getty]
  
 It sure is a good day to hate Hollywood schlockmeister, Olivia Munn bangerOscar ruiner, and receding afro-with-legs Brett Ratner. Apparently this weekend at a Q&A following his new cinematic turd Tower Heist, he dropped the f-bomb. No, not "fuck." "Fag."
When asked if he rehearsed a lot, Ratner said, "Rehearsal is for fags." Is that because only musicals need rehearsals and only fags would star in a musical? Is that what Ratner thinks? Or does he think that rehearsals are for wimps and all gays are wimps? Well, I can think of a number of "fags" who would willingly kick his ass. Or does he think that gay people should be the butt of his jokes? Is that the only way he can be funny? How about next time he just fart into the mic.
Then he apologized in The Wrap and it's not much better.
I apologize for any offense my remarks caused. It was a dumb way of expressing myself. Everyone who knows me knows that I don't have a prejudiced bone in my body. But as a storyteller I should have been much more thoughtful about the power of language and my choice of words.
The most offensive thing in that statement isn't that Ratner won't admit that the word is inherently offensive, prejudiced, and hate-filled, it's that he thinks that he, the man who brought us Rush Hour and ruined an X-Men movie, is a "storyteller."
As Mark Harris eloquently points out if the Oscars ever needed a reason to fire Ratner (and they should have plenty of reasons already) this is another one. Would Hollywood let Mel Gibson host the Oscars? Hell no! Then the same should hold for Ratner. Also, if he thinks that he can pull off the Oscar show without even one rehearsal than he's something far worse than a "fag." He's an idiot. 

Comments