Skip to main content

On 'Ellen DeGeneres,' Gay Teen Graeme Taylor Says Knowing Yourself Is 'Beautiful'



 
PUBLISHED: NOVEMBER 24, 2010
Appearing Monday on the Ellen DeGeneres Show, gay 14-year-old
 Graeme Taylor says knowing yourself is “beautiful.”
Speaking to her guest, DeGeneres said she was amazed at the strength 
of Taylor's convictions.
“For you to be that confident and to be openly gay at this age is pretty 
amazing, and that you're so comfortable with yourself,” she said.
When Taylor responded, in a very matter-of-fact tone, “It takes time to get comfortable with yourself,” DeGeneres quickly interjected, “Yeah, I know.”
“I went through some very tough times learning to accept myself but once
 I did I just realized what a beautiful thing that is.”
Taylor went on to relive his first coming out experience at age 13.
“I walked into a closet and, without really thinking about it, as I left the 
closet I went 'Guys, I'm gay,'” he said. “I literally came out of the closet.”
 (The video is embedded in the right panel of this page.)
DeGeneres also presented Taylor with a $10,000 scholarship.
BY ON TOP MAGAZINE STAFF

Comments