Marie Osmond Gives Support to Her Lesbian Daughter


marie-osmond-05-09-daughters
Jessica Osmond, left, with sister Rachael in January 2009.
At a time when the Mormon Church is slowly softening its formerly hard-line stance against gays and lesbians, one of the religion’s best-known members is speaking out openly for marriage equality.
“The God that I believe in is a god of love, not fear,” singer Marie Osmond recently told Diane Sawyer in an interview promoting her new memoir, “The Key Is Love: My Mother’s Wisdom, A Daughter’s Gratitude.”
The shift in Osmond’s attitude is due to her lesbian daughter Jessica, she said.
“I believe in (my daughter’s) civil rights, as a mother,” Osmond told Sawyer. “I think that my daughter deserves everything that she desires in life. She’s a good girl. She’s a wonderful child. … I don't think God made one color flower. I think he made many.”
This isn’t the first time that Osmond, 53, has spoken out for her daughter and other LGBT people. During a Los Angeles radio interview in 2009, she talked about her daughter and said, “I think everybody should have the right to share homes and finances with somebody that they care about. You know on those types of things I'm very supportive. When it comes to marriage ... I think that civil rights need to be for all.”
Osmond’s famous siblings, however, don’t appear to share her views. Donny Osmond, with whom she co-hosted a popular television show in the 1970s and recorded several hit songs, has spoken out against marriage equality. Alan Osmond, another brother, staged a “pro-family,” anti-gay rally at the Utah State Capitol last we

Comments