Nicholas Galitzine Feels Guilty Playing Gay as a Straight Man


                                          Getty Images
 {Vogue}

Nicholas Galitzine recently told British GQ that he felt somewhat guilty when deciding whether or not to play a gay character as a straight man because he does not want to take up anyone else’s space or opportunities. Galitzine starred opposite Taylor Zakhar Perez last year in Prime Video’s popular gay romance film “Red White and Royal Blue,” and he’s currently a co-lead opposite Julianne Moore in the Starz drama “George & Mary.” Galitzine’s character in the series is queer.

“I identify as a straight man, but I have been a part of some incredible queer stories,” Galitzine told the publication. “I felt a sense of uncertainty sometimes about whether I’m taking up someone’s space, and perhaps guilt. At the same time, I see those characters as not solely their sexuality.”


Galitzine stressed that “I am Nick, and I’m not my role,” and that extends to his heterosexual characters as well. The actor’s latest movie is the buzzy Prime Video romance “The Idea of You,” co-starring Anne Hathaway. Galitzine plays a heartthrob boy band singer who falls for a 40-year-old single mother. 

“I think the most important thing to me is that I’m taken seriously as a performer,” Galitzine said about his career. “I’m not gonna ask you to cry me a river here, but it’s been difficult being part of a conversation that feels very much like I am a cut of beef at a meat market. I think that being my defining feature is something I’m constantly terrified of.”

“The Idea of You” is available to stream on Prime Video. Head over to British GQ’s website to read Galitzine’s latest profile in its entirety.

Comments