Former Patriots Ryan O'Callahan on Being Gay: "I was scared to death"


 
BOSTON (CBS) By Liam Martin
– Former Patriots lineman Ryan O’Callaghan spent his entire career hiding his sexuality from his teammates, his friends, and his family. He is now sharing that battle in his new book, “My Life On The Line.”
He was a star offensive lineman on the best football team on earth, at the top of his game, and in the depths of despair.
“I was convinced family would never love me, friends would never love me, as an out gay man,” O’Callaghan said in an interview with WBZ-TV’s Liam Martin. “I was scared to death. It scared me to death. I instantly went into the closet.”
O’Callaghan is back in Boston to promote that new book, and he says he hopes his story will encourage other gay athletes to stick with it. 

Comments