President Obama Hints at Changing Attitude on Marriage Equality


This isn't the historic announcement that many are hoping for, but it is a sign that when it comes to the issue of marriage equality, President Obama might be shifting his political position.
Perhaps this doesn't come as a surprise, especially for those who always thought that President Obama's opposition to gay marriage was rooted more in politics than principle. Indeed, in the late 1990s, President Obama (then a candidate for the Illinois State Legislature) indicated that he supported the right of gays and lesbians to get married.
But as a candidate and as President, Obama has always insisted that he's firmly against gay marriage. And we're reminded of it on a constant basis, such as when the National Organization for Marriage or Carrie Prejean or says that their stance against gay nuptials is the same as the President. It's pretty infuriating.
But today, in a meeting with a handful of progressive bloggers (including AMERICABlog's Joe Sudbay), Obama recognized that the arc of history is bending toward marriage equality ... and so too might his politics.
Here's the question Sudbay asked Obama: "So I just really want to know what is your position on same-sex marriage?"
And here's Obama's answer:
I do not intend to make big news sitting here with the five of you, as wonderful as you guys are ... I think it’s a fair question to ask. I think that — I am a strong supporter of civil unions. As you say, I have been to this point unwilling to sign on to same-sex marriage primarily because of my understandings of the traditional definitions of marriage.
But I also think you’re right that attitudes evolve, including mine. And I think that it is an issue that I wrestle with and think about because I have a whole host of friends who are in gay partnerships. I have staff members who are in committed, monogamous relationships, who are raising children, who are wonderful parents.
And I care about them deeply. And so while I’m not prepared to reverse myself here, sitting in the Roosevelt Room at 3:30 in the afternoon, I think it’s fair to say that it’s something that I think a lot about. That’s probably the best you’ll do out of me today.
Has the President of the United States just taken a major step toward endorsing marriage equality? Actions speak louder than words, of course, and the Justice Department's continued appeal of a federal lawsuit challenging the Defense of Marriage Act, as well as White House flubs on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and the Employment Nondiscrimination Act, might make some think that this is just more nice and fluffy rhetoric coming from the 44th President.
But there is something about this statement that also feels a bit historic. I'm not sure where Obama will eventually fall on the issue of same-sex marriage. I have hopes, of course, but I've no doubt that his re-election in 2012 will influence his political courage on this issue.
What are your thoughts? Feel free to let us know in the comments.
Photo credit: The White House gayrights.change.org  by Michael A. Jones

Comments