Skip to main content

Gloria Estefan Says She Once Considered 'Checking Out' In 'It Gets Better' Video




PUBLISHED: OCTOBER 22, 2010
In a video for the It Gets Better campaign, singer Gloria Estefan reveals
 that she once considered “checking out.”
“I went through some tough times,” Estefan says. “I felt the weight of the
 world on my shoulders. I wanted to be strong for my mom, but deep 
inside
 I was crumbling. And there were many a time that I thought that the
 easiest way would be just to check out.”
The Grammy-winning singer adds that her family kept her strong and
 urges troubled gay teens considering suicide to hang in there.
“Thoughts can create reality and when you make your thoughts strong 
and positive you can create the life that you want for yourself.”
“Believe in yourself,” she adds. “And it will get better. I promise you.”
 (The video is embedded in the right panel of this page.)
The It Gets Better campaign is the brainchild of sex advice columnist
 and activist Dan Savage, who launched the project by uploading a 
Other celebrities and high-profile politicians who have created videos includePresident ObamaSecretary of State Hillary ClintonNew York
BY ON TOP MAGAZINE STAFF 

Comments