Daughter of House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer Comes Out


The daughter of House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) publicly announced on Wednesday that she is a lesbian – saying she was inspired to come out following her father’s recentendorsement of same-sex marriage.
Stefany Hoyer Hemmer (Blade photo by Michael Key)
In an interview published in the Washington Blade, Stefany Hoyer Hemmer said while a small number of family and friends had known she was gay for some time, it was now a “good time to lend my name to the cause” as gay rights issues gain prominence both nationwide and in her home state of Maryland.

More from the Blade:     

"I’m personally an advocate, and I’m certainly not one to hide my sexuality, but I’ve never out there with it politically,” Hemmer said. “So, I think when my dad actually came out with a statement, it triggered a want in me to further the cause, and I think that he’s powerful enough, and I’m frankly, smart enough, to do it. So, yeah, that was really the impetus.”

 Hemmer said she never explicitly told her father that she was gay, although she had spoken with her mother, Judy Pickett Hoyer, about being a lesbian. In 2003, Hemmer had one of her sisters break the news and later showed up at his house with a girlfriend.

“He was very welcoming,” Hemmer said. “Of course, my sister had prepped him. He was not the least bit shaken or upset and very pleasantly just a nice guy. He’s always been respectful of my privacy, so unless I initiate a conversation with him about pretty much anything that’s private, he doesn’t get into my personal business, which I respect. But he’s been great.”

Hoyer said in a statement to the Blade: “I’m pleased that Stefany is adding her voice to those across Maryland and the country calling for marriage equality … This is about ensuring all families receive equal treatment under the law. As more people speak out, the more momentum this effort gains to give every family the dignity and respect they deserve.”

Comments