Interview With Male Model Marcel Castenmiller

This interview was done by Patinya Boonto for HommeEssential. It was done last summer but I think it is still hot. Marcel Has that face which is angelic and sexy at the same time. His look is sincere and the features are manly in a different way. In a different way because one observer might say feminine but when you really look at his face features I find them delicate manly. Enjoy. adamfoxie*

Marcel Castenmiller
Bon Magazine by David Vasiljevic

           Canadian-born Marcel Jacques Castenmiller is one of the most occupied models in the industry. His angelic face and delicate frame effortlessly mesmerise clients and everyone he meets. He’s truly a muse and a source of inspiration for the major fashion houses’ designers as well as notorious photographers which has led to relentlessly bookings. His success in modelling career is attributed to not only his eye-catching appearance but also his charming personality and unique character. He’s starred in several international campaigns including Tommy Hilfiger SS 11 & FW 11, OVS & Costume National SS 11, Versace FW 10, Gucci Eyewear SS10 and Kenzo SS 09 & FW 09. And he’s also featured in numerous editorials such as Slurp Magazine, GQ Japan, Crash Magazine, GQ Italia, Numero Tokyo, Vogue Italia, Dazed & Confused, Vogue Hommes Japan and many more to take the newsstands by storm.

He shares with us his personal life and views on modelling business.

Marcel Castenmiller 
Versace FW10 by Mario Testino

Patinya: To kick off the interview please tell us a little bit background of yourself.

Marcel: My Parents were born in the Netherlands. My Father came from a Dutch background and my Mother with a mix of Indonesian and South American background. After Marriage they moved to the Canadian Province of Alberta. I was born in Edmonton, Alberta in 1986. My younger Brother was born in 1988 and my parents decided to move to British Columbia, where I was raised to the age of 18. I studied at a High school in Coquitlam and after graduation applied and was accepted at the Emily Carr Institute of Art & Design in Vancouver.

Patinya: 
How did you get discovered?


Marcel: In 2007. I was arranged an appointment to visit DNA through the photographer Ryan McGinley.
Marcel Castenmiller
Tommy Hilfiger SS11 by Craig McDean

Patinya: How do you balance your personal life and modelling career?

Marcel: There isn't a real need to balance anything. Modelling is very easy career. My personal life consists of 80% of each year and only several weeks are devoted to shows or shoots.

Patinya: What do your family and friends think about you being a model?  Do they treat you differently?


Marcel: My Family is very happy I get to have an opportunity to travel & network. I'm not treated differently, they are happy I managed leaving my hometown for New York City and I believe my family & friends understand how this temporary career helps to me eventually achieve certain goals.

Patinya: What do you have to sacrifice to become a model?

Marcel: Not very much. Dating is the hardest. When you travel 1 to 3 months straight and occasionally on-call then having a girlfriend in New York City can be difficult. It's even harder if they live in a different City than your home base. Not to mention if they are also a model who does the same.
WestEast Men Magazine by Bell Soto
WestEast Men Magazine by Bell Soto

Patinya: A stereotype of a ‘male model’ is that they’re dumb, what’s your view on this?

Marcel: Sometimes it's true. It's the worst stereotype. I can easily find myself avoiding the words "Male Model" when I am asked what I do.

Patinya: What do you think about fashion industry nowadays? What’s the best part? And the worst?


Marcel: I don't really follow fashion so I don't really have an opinion.

Patinya:  What’s your opinion about designer's obsession with skinny models? 

Marcel: I understand why models are skinny and tall, most designers worry about sizes after the work they do in the drawing room. It's easy for them to work on their art and design when they stick to the same measurements. Although discrimination towards people who are different proportions is not acceptable, I try not to let most of fashion industries requirements bother me. It's like how in the past the rich were known to be very well fed and larger than what now seems to be an average weight and size. But I'm sure it was difficult then for weak, tall or skinny people during the middle ages. I feel lucky my parents have passed on genes where I am the size I am but it's just the way it is. I would be just the same if it were different only maybe not being interviewed by you haha.
 Interview Magazine by Craig McDean
Interview Magazine by Craig McDean

Patinya: Do you prefer runway or shoot?

Marcel: I would say runway because it's very simple, although it can take a lot of downtime. The week of running around for castings before shows start become the difficult part of runway. Shoot can be fun on and off depending on how the photographer works. If they don't know what they want it can take a long annoying time.

Patinya: What’s your most memorable modelling job?

Marcel: Going to Tokyo for a 2-month contract.

Patinya: What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever done on set?

Marcel: I've jumped onto a wild horse while completely naked and rode it for a couple seconds before falling off.

Patinya: Are you comfortable being naked in front of the camera?

Marcel: Yep. (Prefer nude outdoors than in a studio)

Patinya:  Since you’re in a competitive industry, how do you handle rejection? What’s the worst comment you’ve ever had from the clients?

Marcel: It isn't my goal to succeed as a model. I do this for financial gain but not for personal enjoyment. Being rejected by Gucci vs. Prada has no difference and almost no impact on me. Especially since jobs come and go every day.Clients don't ever comment badly and if they had I can't remember it happening.

Patinya: Has anyone asked you to cut your hair? Would you do it?

Marcel: Not at all. Yes I would.

Patinya: What’s your definition of beauty?

Marcel:  I can find a dirty, hot summer day in Brooklyn a beautiful sight. But also appreciate being in the woods on a rainy day in British Columbia. If it seems real it is beautiful. Although I've been in a suburb that seemed very unnatural and it also struck a chord. Life is beautiful and so is Death and all that come in between.
 Slurp Magazine by Saverio Cardia
Slurp Magazine by Saverio Cardia

Patinya: What’s your most marked characteristic? 

Marcel: I'm very easy going and kind, I don't really have much to get angry about and even if I do I almost never let it out.

Patinya:  What is your personal style?


Marcel: Discrete

Patinya:  How do you kill time during the shoots or the shows?

Marcel: Reading.

Patinya:  Please name things that you can’t miss when you’re travelling.

Marcel:  There is not much I need to bring except essentials and my camera. I can always find an English book when I'm in a major city and film is still easy to find for my camera. When I am traveling I try to send a postcard, that’s very important to me.
 
Patinya: You’re currently in a relationship, how do you guys deal with the long distance while you have to travel a lot?


Marcel: With traveling the situation always seems to be worse for the person not traveling. But New York City is a fun city and we basically have to keep ourselves entertained by friends while one another are away.

Patinya: Any bad habits? And what’s your guilty pleasure?

Marcel: I'm working on my bad habits such as smoking. My guilty pleasure is whiskey.

Patinya: What would you be, if you weren’t a model?

Marcel: A student.

Patinya: People would be surprised to know that you……..?

Marcel: I have to wear prescription glasses.

Patinya:  Why did you deactivate your twitter account?

Marcel: There was nothing much to say and I would like to spend less time looking at screens.

Patinya: If you could be an animal, what would you be? And why?

Marcel: A Fox, because I adore wolves but they are too tough and I'm more of a sneaky creature anyway.

Patinya: What would you like to find in a FedEx parcel if you got castaway?


Marcel: If I was stranded on an island the best thing to find in a FedEx parcel would be a towel haha.

Patinya: Please describe yourself in three words?

Marcel: Emotional, Passionate & Patient
Photo by Ken Pao
Photo by Ken Pao

Patinya:  What is a successful life? What makes you happy?

Marcel:  A successful Life is one where you are happy. You can set goals but always whatever the outcome you are satisfied. Always know where you want to live and who you want to be around. And adjustment is very important, if financially I cannot continue my life style I have now I will adjust to whatever I will be doing or wherever I am.

Patinya:  How do you see yourself in 5 years from now? What’s your future plan?


Marcel: I will be living in either New York, Amsterdam, Berlin or Tokyo. I will either have gotten my masters or not but would ultimately have a career that has some kind of connection to visual Art.
     
   
Although Marcel’s career is inexorable and with all the attention he’s still very down to earth and can enjoy simple pleasure. He’s strongly passionate about visual arts and photography. In his leisure time he likes to experiment some art projects with his friends and lately his collection of photographs have been published and exhibited at some galleries. Apparently modelling is not his ultimate goal to achieve however we would expect to see him having a career related to that in the future.

You may follow Marcel's blog at www.marcelcastenmiller.com

Comments