‘I am not homosexual,’ says German soccer star Philipp Lahm/but Players Should Stay closeted

Philipp Lahm//Phot Source: International Business Times       Posted by LGBT Weekly 
Lahm LGBT San Diego
After releasing his latest book titled, ‘A Subtle Difference,’ German soccer star Philipp Lahm says he is not gay, despite rumors of a having a ‘friend’ in Cologne which sparked the possibility, according to reports at The Associated Press.
“First, I am not a homosexual. I am not married to my wife Claudia for appearances and I do not have a friend in Cologne with whom I really live,” Lahm wrote.
“This speculation doesn’t matter to me.  I have nothing against homosexuals and I find that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. But it never ceases to amaze me that these isolated types, who tell these stories, can have a lot of influence on public opinion… do you not have anything more important to talk about?” he asks.
But despite his acceptance of homosexuality, Lahm cautioned soccer players from coming out since the sport lacks understanding and acceptance for the LGBT community, according to Lahm. The suggestion comes in wake of colleague Justin Fashanu, who killed himself in 1998 after coming out.
Despite Lahm’s criticism of certain parts of the German soccer culture,  especially pertaining to the gay community, he will remain captain of the team through 2011, with pending appointment in 2012.

Comments