Russell Tovey Talks About His Dad Wanting To Cure Him From Being Gay at 18

Russell on his 20's
                                        


 Years and Years star Russell Tovey has opened up on coming out as gay to his family, saying his father wanted him to have hormone treatment thinking it may ‘cure’ him of his homosexuality. 

Russell came out to his parents when he was 18 and has said it took his father, George, several years to be accepting of his son’s sexuality. Speaking alongside his mother Carole, Russell told The Times: ‘I don’t think either of my parents were homophobic, they just didn’t know any gay people or anyone with gay kids. They had nothing to cling to. ‘My dad thought it could be cured. ‘He was scared about what my life would be like. 

To him, being gay was a road of pitfalls and unhappiness; out of love he wanted to correct this weakness, to put cotton wool around me and protect me from all that. ‘People react in different ways, there’s no rhyme or reason, but if you love someone you have to respect the process.’
Russell Tovey and Steve Brockman.
Russell with fiance Steve Brockman (Picture: Erik Pendzich/REX/Shutterstock)
 
Carole added: ‘George had a hard time with it. It took him about three years to come to terms with it. I think it was to do with pride, his idea of what makes you a man. 

He thought we’d somehow made Russell gay. He said: “We’ll get him hormone treatment.” He found it hard to see that Russ was happy and we had to accept it.’ And though she was more accepting, Carole was also frightened about her son’s future when he came out to her, saying she was scared he’d never get married and never have children. 

The actor says he has a great relationship with both his parents now and hopes he and fiancĂ© Steve Brockman can have as solid and long-lasting union as they have. He said: ‘[Mum] is still the most important person in my life and I talk to her about everything. She was worried when Steve and I broke up and then got back together because I’d been hurt.


 

Comments