After Parents Submitted Gay Indian Prince to Conversion Therapy He Now Calls for A Ban


 Jamie Wareham
 Reports on LGBT life, identities and being queer.


         
Amar Singh and Prince Manvendra discussing LGBT+ rights in India in August 2017 a year and a month before the 377 penal code was abolished for the second time
Amar Singh and Prince Manvendra discussing LGBT+ rights in India in August 2017 a year and a month ... [+]AMAR SINGH, SUPPLIED      
 

The global LGBT community are becoming more vocal about the horrors of conversion therapy, as eradicating the discredited practice emerges as one of the highest priorities for global LGBT citizens.
And the gay Indian Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil, is the latest voice to join calls to see laws that ban conversion therapy.

“I was myself a victim of conversion therapy,” he tells me from his royal establishment of Hanumanteshwar.
“From my parents. When I came out, the first thing they tried to do was convert me. They wouldn’t accept me as a gay child.
“They tried to ask the doctors to operate on me. They took me to religious leaders to ask them to cure me.”

The widely discredited practice sees vulnerable people subjected to shock treatments and other cruel tortures.
They promise and consistently fail, to “cure” people of being gay, bisexual, trans and all identities on the sexuality, romantic and gender spectrums.

Conversion therapy centers in India are legal; indeed, they have only been outlawed completely in five countries around the world.
But now the Prince is now calling for it to be banned in India, and across the world.

Mavendra, is the first openly gay prince in the world, spoke of numerous cases in India. The son of the Maharaja of Rajpipla in Gujarat says it is often worse for LGBT women:

“Lesbians are treated so badly, I’ve known cases where the family member with rape the child to prove she can have sex with a man. ‘That proves you are heterosexual.”



Comments