An American-Rainbow Flag Put Up by Straight Neighbor in Myttle Bch.Stirres Raw Emotions



                          


by Deevon Rahming



MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WPDE) — An American gay pride flag hanging in a Myrtle Beach neighborhood is stirring up some raw emotion from the people who live nearby.

Danielle Guido considers herself a gay ally. She says she hung the flag in an effort to "make America great again."


"I thought to myself what does that actually mean, 'Make America great again?' And when I thought about some of the things that it stands for, I started to become upset because that time in America wasn't great for everybody, you know," said Guido.

Guido said she made a decision to purchase the American pride flag online and to hang it in time for the Fourth of July.

"Initially, obviously, I was super excited when I bought it, and then I got it home and I opened it up and I was like, 'Okay, wow, like, yeah, are you ready to do this, Danielle, because it is still 2019,' but, South Carolina, you know," said Guido.

Unaware of the impacts hanging the flag would have on her community, within 48 hours, feedback from the neighbors started rolling in-- including a handwritten letter.

"At first it was weird just 'cause it was not addressed personally to me, so I was like, weary of the letter, and when I opened it and I just started crying," said Guido.

Guido says with a nation divided, she just knew the letter was hate mail coming for her flag as she began to read the letter.

The letter reads:

"Dear neighbor, Thank you - your pride American flag is everything! I honestly cannot express what it means to our family to see your flag hang proudly - My trans son smiles every time we drive by. It's a scary world and your pride makes everything brighter."
Guido said it is little gestures like hanging up a flag that can make all the difference in someone's life.

"Hanging up this flag had a purpose, and somebody feels better at night because they feel seen and heard and represented in our community," said Guido.

For Danielle, this flag is more than just a political statement to her neighbors.

"I'm hoping to just inspire people, you don't have to be gay to stand up for gay people. You know, you don't have to look or be like your neighbor; we're all different, and that's what important and that's what makes America great," said Guido.

A message of love Guido hopes will inspire others.

And, as for the trans-son referenced in the anonymous letter:

"If you're out there and listening, you are loved and thank you for being brave to be who you are... It is a scary world and your bravery is going to inspire someone else, too."

Guido says she's received lots of support since hanging the flag on the Fourth of July from friends and neighbors. She says the flag will stay up until it's worn out, which she will then purchase another one.

Comments