Mississippi Democrat Running For Congress Speaks Out on Being Gay and Proud

This is an article my server caught on gay
 politicians. I found a politician running for office 
and putting it out there like he should, that he
 is gay! 
This article is from  
,  on  the Clarion Ledger
Democrat Congressional candidate Michael Aycox wants to put it out there: Yes, he's gay.
An investigator with the Newton Police Department, Aycox said he's heard whispers of folks questioning his sexuality. It's no secret, he said, but he views his sexuality with the same relevance as his hair color. 
However, he's also aware that he is the first openly gay candidate in a Mississippi congressional race. 
Aycox is one of two Democrats on the ballot in the June primary for Mississippi's 3rd Congressional District seat. Neither he nor Michael T. Evans, a current state representative, is the front-runner for gaining the seat in the Republican-dominated race but, at first glance, they're pretty similar politically.  
In a crowded race — with eight candidates vying for one seat —  distinguishing one candidate from the next on policy can be difficult. The five Republicans largely agree on issues such as gun rights and abortion. 

Aycox and Evans both agree on the importance of supporting members of law enforcement and the military, the need for quality infrastructure and funding education. That's where the similarities end.
Aycox is a supporter of same-sex marriage. He married his husband, Mario, in New York's Central Park in 2013, before same-sex marriage was legal in Mississippi. 
Evans believes marriage is meant to be between a man and a woman.
Aycox, a 30-year-old Navy veteran, and Mano wrre living in Florida at the Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville.  when Aycox had an interaction with his Mississippi congressman that eventually spurred him to run for office. 
Aycox was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2016 and reached out to 3rd District U.S. Rep. Gregg Harper's office for help with his medical treatment. Aycox said he was disappointed with Harper's response time and vowed to one day run against him. Although Harper chose to vacate the seat this term, Aycox said he wants to run for office so he can be a congressman that's "easy to get in touch with."
After a medical discharge in June 2017, the couple moved back to Mississippi and settled in Aycox's hometown of Newton. They have a black lab, Sasha, they rescued from a local humane society and a garden full of tomatoes. 
Mario, who serves in the Florida Air National Guard, is preparing to be deployed, so Aycox has been doing the majority of his stump speeches solo. But, he said, he's encouraged by his husband's support from afar. 
Evans, his Democratic opponent, is a state representative and chicken farmer and has been married 25 years. He and his wife, Heather, "pick up eggs for a living." The two have three poultry houses for Pico Foods. 
Evans' colleagues at the Capitol call him "Big Country," but he said folks back home call him "Worm."
After being elected to his second term, Evans, 42, retired from being a full-time firefighter in 2016 but still serves as a volunteer firefighter. 
As a representative, Evans initially voted in favor of HB 1523, a controversial bill that allowed businesses to deny services to people based on religious beliefs. He voted "nay" on the second vote, after the bill had been amended because he felt the bill was "controversial" and "brought a lot of negative attention to our state."
"I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman but, I'm the type of person, I really don't care what anyone else does with their life, that's just my Christian belief," he said. "What anybody else does that's their own business, really."
Evans is in his second term as a state representative. While he voted for HB 1523 the first time, he's not sure if he would again.
"I think people should have the right to express their religion or their non religion," he said. "I don't know if I'd vote for it again or not. I don't know if anyone has been refused services on that bill. I haven't had anyone tell me that it has. Once we voted on that bill, I have not heard anything else about it, nothing."
Aycox said he doesn't understand how anyone could look at HB 1523 and not see the potential ramifications it could have on LGBTQ Mississippians. He gets emotional when he talks about giving stump speeches and meeting constituents who feel they've been discriminated against because of their sexuality. 
"1583 literally shoved the community into the closet under penalty of law," he said. 
While he told his parents about his sexuality when he was 20 years old and lived openly as a gay man, Aycox said he didn't feel the need to tell people "I'm gay." That changed after a recent event hosted by the Human Rights Campaign. Aycox said he felt encouraged being surrounded by other members of the LGBTQ community and wanted to speak out on their behalf. 
"Until the campaign, I never really 'came out.' I didn't," he said. "This is me. It's not who I am, it doesn't define me, it's just a part of me. It's like having brown hair, it doesn't change who I am...I didn't do this to be the voice of the LGBT community. I did this for change. I did this to make a difference."
With his farming background, Evans said he hopes to have an impact for rural farmers. He has strong feelings, he said, about the recent tariffs proposed by President Trump and is strongly opposed. 
"I think the tariffs are going to hurt our farmers," Evans said. "I don't want to go back to soybeans going back to be $2 a bushel again."
Evans hadn't raised enough money to report campaign finances in April but said he's since raised between $5,000 and $6,000. 
People should vote for him, he said, because he can relate to hard-working Mississippians. 
"I'm strong on health care, education, infrastructure, I've always been a big supporter of the teachers, our law enforcement, I'm strong on all that," he said. "I think people will vote for me because I line up with what the rural Mississippi voters think. I'm just an average Mississippian and I can relate to everybody."
Aycox, who's raised around $2,300 in campaign funds, admittedly has zero political experience. He's betting on that fact appealing to voters to win the June primary. 
"The reason I'm the people's candidate is because we've got lawyers, we've got doctors, we've got all these people who are playing the political ballgame and forgotten where they've come from," he said. "I appeal to the blue collar workers, and the white collar workers. I believe in service before self."
Sarah Fowler at 601-961-7303 or sfowler@gannett.com. Follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

Comments