Kevin Spacey Comes Out as Gay and Sex Predator All in One Tweet




 Anthony Rapp and Kevin Spacey (REX/Shutterstock)
Every gay person and most straights have known about Spacey's sexual orientation. We have always been disappointed when so many times in the past he has bold face lied pretending everyone was stupid except him. What we didn't know about him as a 'chickenhawk' or sex predator for younger men. It seems easy to these men of power to try to get sexually what they can't get voluntarily except by people that look like them. It is so offensive that he comes out both as a sex predator and gay man. What a timing! I will say this is only the tip of the iceberg. There has to be more coming out of that old stuffy closet. This guy is been successful in the business for a long time and there have been a lot of younger actors passing under that bridge. He has never helped the gay community only hurt it by denying the obvious and kept being embarrassed by what he is. A shameful behavior for younger men growing up and pondering when to come out. I always gave him credit for being a good actor but always dislike seeing him on the screen most of the time. I guess I know why now.


Kevin Spacey apologized and came out as gay in a statement after the actor was accused of sexual advances on an underage actor. 

Harvey Weinstein: What You Need to Know
Over the last week, a deluge of allegations have come out against the Hollywood producer, ending with him getting fired from own company
"I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago," Spacey wrote. "But if I did behave as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years."

Spacey's statement arrived after Buzzfeed published an account of the 1986 encounter as remembered by actor Anthony Rapp, who has appeared in Rent, Dazed and Confused and currently stars on Star Trek: Discovery.

Rapp, who was 14 and a child actor on Broadway at the time, said he attended a party at fellow Broadway actor Spacey's Manhattan apartment; as the party ended, Rapp – who became bored and ended up just watching television alone in Spacey's bedroom – was approached and then thrown atop the bed by Spacey, he told Buzzfeed.


"He was trying to seduce me," Rapp said. "I don't know if I would have used that language. But I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually."

After pushing Spacey off of him, Rapp ran into the bathroom before making his way to the front door. "He followed me to the front door of the apartment, and as I opened the door to leave, he was leaning on the front door[frame]," Rapp said. "And he was like, 'Are you sure you wanna go?' I said, 'Yes, good night,' and then I did leave."

Although Rapp initially put the incident behind him, the ascension of Spacey, who would go on to find Hollywood success soon after, haunted Rapp, as seeing Spacey on the big screen and award shows would always bring back his memories of that encounter.

While Rapp often told his friends, fellow colleagues and – in one case – another publication about what happened with Spacey, the accusations took on additional weight in the aftermath of the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault allegations. 

Not long after Buzzfeed published Rapp's account of the incident, Spacey issued a long Twitter statement that both apologized for his actions and – after decades of rumors, non-committal confirmations and a refusal to discuss his private life – revealed that he is gay.

"This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life," Spacey wrote. "I know that there are stories out there about me and that some have been fueled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy. As those closest to me know, in my life I have had relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man."

Spacey concluded, "I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behavior."

Rapp added on Twitter Sunday night, "I came forward with my story, standing on the shoulders of the many courageous women and men who have been speaking out to shine a light and hopefully make a difference, as they have done for me. Everything I wanted to say about my experience is in that article, and I have no further comment about it at this time."

Rolling Stones

 “I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor. I’m beyond horrified to hear his story,” Spacey said in a statement posted on his Twitter account late Sunday night. “I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.”
In the same statement, Spacey also came out as gay.
“This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life,” Spacey’s statement continued. “I know that there are stories out there about me and that some have been fueled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy. As those closes to me know, in my life, I have had relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic relationships with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man. I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behavior.”
Kevin Spacey

 Anthony Rapp


Quartz:

“He picked me up a like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don’t, like, squirm away initially, because I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ And then he lays down on top of me,” Rapp explained. “He was trying to seduce me… I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually.” Rapp quickly left the apartment, he says, and didn’t tell anybody about Spacey’s behavior.
There’s a long and ugly history to the notion that there is some sort of relationship between homosexuality and pedophilia—and Spacey’s conflation of the two is as distressing as it is infuriating. Members of the LGBT+ community have had to face the misconception that they’re more likely to be abusers time and time again, whether in debates over gender neutral bathrooms or when trying to become parents through adoption. For years, homophobes have played up to the wrongheaded and pernicious belief that gay men somehow pose a danger to young people, and this notion has played into discussions of the child sex abuse scandals in the Catholic Church.
As one user on Facebook remarked, Spacey’s statement is a “grotesque setback” for the community: “The journey towards genuine equality is still a long way off, so kudos Spacey for making it just a bit longer & harder, and further blurring the very distinct lines between homosexuality & pedophilia.”Whether intentional or not, Spacey’s apology implies that his sexuality offers an explanation for his behavior. But the LGBT+ community is united in saying: Whatever your sexuality, making sexual advances on a 14-year-old is wrong.


Comments