Ricky Martin Admits to Having Internalized Homophobia Growing Up in Puerto Rico

Life changing: Ricky Martin tells Australian GQ that becoming a father prompted him to come out as gay and live a more honest life.
 Singer Ricky Martin memorably came out as a gay man back in 2010.
However, the star has admitted he used to struggle with his sexuality and even bullied gay men whilst growing up in Puerto Rico.
Martin, who got his start with the boy band Menudo nearly three decades ago, tells the magazine that becoming a father to twin boys Matteo and Valentino, whom he is raising with partner Carlos Gonzalez Abells, changed his view on life.
'I look back now and realise I would bully people who I knew were gay,' Martin tells the September/October edition of GQ Australia'I had internalised homophobia. To realise that was confronting to me. I wanted to get away from that.’
Family time: The 41-year-old relaxes with this sons Mateo and Valentino
 'I didn’t want them (his twin sons) growing up in a house of lies… or thinking that there was something wrong with being gay.'
  The 41-year-old relaxes with this sons Mateo and Valentino
The 41-year-old also opens up about his latest job, as a judge on Australia's version of The Voice.
'I felt the outpouring of love, and I could feel the criticism, too, but I loved that,' he tells the publication. 'I love the honesty and the truth. People tell it like it is in Australia.'
In fact, the sexy performer proved so popular on the competition reality show that it has led to a career resurgence for him.
He will embark on a tour in October, giving a whole new generation of fans the chance to experience La Vida Loca.
After years of speculation, the singer came pout as a gay man back in 2010, via a long statement on his website. 
'I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man,' he wrote. 'I am very blessed to be who I am.'
And later that year he expressed no regrets with his decision during an interview with Larry King. 
'Today, I am a gay man,' he said. 'And everything about saying this feels right… if I’d know how good it was going to feel, I would have done it ten years ago.’
  

Comments