A New Study from Yale on Doctors Attitudes Towards Gays







Introduction from Adam:

My Doctor is a gay woman and before that the last three or so were also gay. Not happy with her and not happy with the last one. No coincidence to have had so many gay doctors, I used the internet and any gay connections to only get gay doctors. I moved a lot during the times so doctors changed. 

There were times in which I had no heath insurance and I was,  felt like I was beggar in the health system of FLORIDA and New York. In that case a hindu woman was the most caring and seemed knowable of gay diseases and problems. Sometimes talking to her incited an eye tear drop to come down streaming my cheek. She though I was in pain, which I was but it was mainly because I felt I could lay my tired head on her shoulders and she would not mind. Actually I probably did but don't remember. Beyond that after getting health insurance back I was picky and I was recommended by a straight friend a Doctor on the Fl Panhandle. Beautiful office with well trained staff by his wife. She kept things going and when she saw me no waiting on the regular waiting room, she would find an exam room for me. She did not discomfort or to be annoyed by all the other patients coming in. She kept that staff like Mussolini with the trains in Rome. I liked her.
No Doctor straight or gay knew more about all the diseases affecting the gay community than he did. He was aware that there were many gays no longer his patients because simply they had passed way before their times.  He would not let you go with a sniffled or anything he suspected might be affecting you. Wether you complaint or not it did not matter. I remember when I told him I was moving two hours away on straight driving to another county that he and his wife tried to convince me not to move. I found it funny since, this had to happen, at least I believed so...I was wrong but it was an experience in the woods in Florida I could not give up if I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.  Faced death there with my horse trampling me and stepping on my ankle and squashing it by accident like like a gorilla would a banana. My back also suffered some but it was the price to pay to have what I always wanted, except with the wrong partner which eventually will make me lose everything.
No other doctor have I loved so much and tried to make sure I was ok on everything, not just health.
I was so amazed that he did not want to give me up even when I had no insurance. His voice and his beautiful eyes would make a connect with you and you knew he cared. He had a nurse take notes but he also did, not on his computer but a little note pad. That would go to his nurse to put in the computer. I don't know about you doctor but my doctor does not have time to look at me during my time in the office because she is typing onto the keys of of her computer. Adam




A new study from Yale University and Oregon Health and Science University looks at how doctor’s prejudices toward LGBT patients change during medical school.
Yale researcher Natalie Wittlin and her colleagues were worried about data that showed some LGBT patients felt uncomfortable, even stigmatized, by their doctors.
They reached out to medical students around the country and surveyed them about their experiences and changing beliefs as they went through their programs.
“We found that the amount of contact these heterosexual cisgender med students had with LGBT folks during med school, and also how positive they found their experiences with LGBT folks, the less bias they express during their second year of residency, and that’s when they’re working as practicing physicians.”
That’s in line with a lot of evidence that shows the more you’re exposed to LGBT people, the less biased you become.
Wittlin says that trend is even more important when it comes to physicians.
“Physicians, we know, have a lot of power and their prejudices can have an impact not only on friends, family members, but all the patients they see. That can potentially have these consequences in terms of health outcomes.”
Wittlin says it’s too early to talk about how to change doctors’ behaviors and lead to better experiences for patients. But she says this research has filled in one important piece of the puzzle.

Comments