NHL Agent who Made Anti-Gay Marriage Remarks Loses Gig


Sean GentilleSporting News
It's been a rough few days for NHL agent Todd Reynolds: Over the weekend, the state of New York passed a bill that grants the same rights to married couples regardless of their gender, of which Reynolds is an outspoken critic.
Now, with the start of NHL free agency less than three days away, Reynolds has lost a client because of past comments. Minnesota Wild forward Andrew Brunette, a potential unrestricted free agent, fired Reynolds and replaced him with Don Baizley, Michael Russo of Minneapolis Star Tribune reported on Twitter.
Andrew Brunette opted to find a new agent after his old one spoke out against gay marriage. (AP Photo)
Brunette, 37, had 18 goals and 28 assists for Minnesota in 2010-11.
After New York Rangers forward Sean Avery recorded a PSA in support of gay marriage last month, Reynolds took to Twitter to share his views: "Very sad to read Sean Avery's misguided support of same-gender 'marriage.' Legal or not, it will always be wrong."
And later: "To clarify. This is not hatred or bigotry towards gays. It is not intolerance in any way shape or form. I believe we are all equal.
Followed by: "But I believe in the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman. This is my personal viewpoint. I Do not hate anyone."
"I believe in voicing your opinion and not being part of the silent majority," Reynolds said later on Canadian sports talk radio station TSN 1050, according to the Toronto Globe and Mail. "If Sean Avery or any other player can comment on one side of the discussion then — I work in hockey, I'm in hockey 24/7 — why can I not comment on it as well?"
Avery, meanwhile, continues to advocate progressive stances.
Avery, 31, is known for his on- and off-ice attempts to agitate his opponents. He was suspended in 2008 for comments he made about another player's girlfriend. He had three goals and 21 assists in 2010-11 for the Rangers."I understand that the NHL represents 30 different owners who come from different backgrounds and hold different viewpoints, but I think it would be meaningful for (commissioner Gary Bettman) and the Board of Governors to open themselves up for conversation about this issue," Avery told the New York Post on Monday, adding that while he got support from the Rangers, he was "disappointed" over the lack of contact from the league.
"It's like I have a split personality on and off the ice, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that," he told the Post. "People who only know me as a player don't know me at all.
"This is very, very special for a lot people across the U.S., in New York State and for a lot of my friends," Avery said. "What's a more genuine issue than having the same rights as everyone else when it comes to marriage?
"You don't have to be gay to know when something is fundamentally not right."

Comments