HIV Apologizes to the guy that almost killed him...He reads the Bible now&think the bang bang made him straight

HIV-Positive Man Apologizes to His Gay-Basher
By Oriol R. Gutierrez Jr. on August 12, 2009 10:13 AM | 18 Comments
File this story under WTF: An HIV-positive man who was almost gay-bashed to death has written a letter to the perpetrator apologizing to him for instigating the incident. He wrote: "I was at blame so it is to my strongest degree that you get out as soon as possible."

According to Gay City News, Dwan Prince was attacked in 2005 in Brooklyn by Steven Pomie. Prince flirted with Pomie, who responded by beating Prince twice with other assailants. Pomie tried to attack Prince a third time but was stopped by witnesses.

Pomie was convicted in 2006 by a jury for first-degree assault and first-degree assault as a hate crime. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison. However, a state appellate court in 2008 dismissed the conviction and ordered that Pomie be tried on lesser charges of second-degree assault and second-degree assault as a hate crime.

A trial date has been set for September 1st. In the letter, Prince writes that he hopes Pomie receives a lesser sentence of five years in prison. No doubt the letter will now factor into the proceedings moving forward.

Pomie beat Prince until he was bleeding and unconscious. He left Prince partially paralyzed. The New York Times reported in 2006 that Prince attempted suicide as a result of the attack. Nonetheless, Prince now believes that Pomie did him a favor by attacking him because it made him straight.

Prince told Gay City News: "I am looking to change my life these days ... I am looking for a female who I can marry and have my sperm washed and have children ... With me going to church, I feel myself that I must try to live by the Bible, I must try to live by God's law."

I can't make sense of this story. I know the writer, Duncan Osborne, is a journalist of the utmost integrity, so I know this story must be true. But how can it be true?! It is a sad and strange tale from the deep and dark corners of the homophobia zone.

Comments