My Jihad is my Sexuality


Written by kichuna Friday
I said the special prayer for him and joined the procession to the cemetery where I was keen to listen to what the Imam would say. Then I started blaming myself. Being a Muslim myself and being gay, should I not have reached out to Ishmael and therefore save his life?
The event provoked me to read widely about my religion Islam and homosexuality. The Quran clearly does not allow homosexuality.
Then, I examined myself, an African living in the city born of a Christian mother and Muslim father and brought up by grandmother away from mother and having no dad. I must face life’s challenges, I told myself.
It is difficult to be gay and even more difficult to talk about it. As a Muslim, there are feelings of guilt and there are fears of persecution. I have to face the reality of my religion, social responsibilities and my own social life.
For me, being gay is a war in the soul the Jihad of my sexuality.

Comments