Kiwi Olympic Rower Comes Out


Image for Kiwi Olympic rower comes out: "Everyone's fine with it"





 

Kiwi Olympic rower comes out:"Everyone's fine with it"

“Your talent that determines what you can achieve, not your sexuality,” says Robbie Manson, Olympic rower for New Zealand, in his coming out letter.
The 25-year-old member of the New Zealand Elite rowing team says he hopes his story “can add something to what is already out there. To show other people who might be struggling with their sexuality, not only that it’s ok to be gay, but it’s a good thing, and it won’t change who you are or limit what you can achieve.”
Manson was on the team representing his nation at the 2012 London Olympics. He’s told his coming out story to OutSports.com and the response has been awesome.

Initially he was terrified to accept that he was gay or tell anyone, even when his big brother’s own coming out got the ball rolling. 
“From an early age I realised that I was different from most other guys,” he explains. “I desperately tried to hide that ‘different’ side of myself. In doing so I inadvertently became very quiet and shy, shutting myself off and avoiding attention for fear that someone might discover my deepest, darkest secret: I’m gay.”
As his sporting career progressed, he felt added pressure to stay in the closet.
“I seriously thought that if anyone found out I wouldn’t be able to row anymore,” he recalls. “The thought of coming out, in my mind, felt so limiting and terrifying.”
But recently he says he’s learned that he’s a lot stronger and more resilient than he gave himself credit for, “and that other people are far more accepting than I thought they would be.
“I’m not only proud to be gay, but I’m glad that I am. I wouldn’t want to be any other way.”
Posted at samesame.com.au

Comments