Juan Pablo Galavis Issues Apology on Calling Homosexuals "Perverts”

Juan Pablo Galavis, ‘The Bachelor,’ said in a recent interview that gays should not be allowed on the reality TV dating show.

After commenting on gays, Juan Pablo Galavis issues apology on Facebook, writing, "The word pervert was not what I meant to say and I am very sorry about it."


One day after telling partygoers at a Television Critics Association event that he didn't like the idea of a gay or bisexual Bachelor on the ABC dating franchise Bachelor because it would set a "bad example for children to watch" and that homosexuals are "pervert(ed)," Juan Pablo Galavis walked back his remarks.
"I want to apologize to all the people I may have offended because of my comments on having a gay or bisexual Bachelor," he wrote on his Facebook page, alluding to a language barrier.
"The word pervert was not what I meant to say and I am very sorry about it," wrote the Venezuelan. "Everyone knows English is my second language and my vocabulary is not as broad as it is in Spanish and, because of this, sometimes I use the wrong words to express myself."
Galavis' post continues: "What I meant to say was that gay people are more affectionate and intense and for a segment of the TV audience, this would be too racy to accept. The show is very racy as it is, and I don't let my 5-year-old daughter watch it."
On Friday, he was asked by website TheTVPage.com whether ABC should air a season with a gay or bisexual Bachelor, and he said, "I don't think it is a good example for kids to watch that on TV," calling homosexuals "more pervert(ed) in a sense."
Though he voiced respect for his own gay producer, he said same-sex couples with kids are "confusing in a sense. ... Where is the thin line to cross or not? You have to respect everybody's desires and way of living. But it would be too hard for TV."
In a joint statement, executive producers, ABC and Warner Horizon Television called Galavis' comments in the interview "careless, thoughtless and insensitive."
The controversy comes a month after Duck Dynasty'Phil Robertson made anti-gay comments in a GQ interview, was promptly "suspended indefinitely" by A&E, only to be reinstated after a pro-Robertson backlash. The show returned last week with ratings similar to last winter’s start but down sharply from its most recent (and record-setting) premiere last August.

Comments