Bi-Kid Gets Kicked Out of Home Gets $16K in Donations



When Nick’s parents discovered their teenage son was bisexual, they threw him out of the house, taking his car while he was at work, along with all of the money in his bank account, and threw his remaining belongings out of their home and onto the front lawn warning him to pick it up before it gets stolen.
Steve Bevers, whose mother-in-law works with Nick, not only took the Georgia teenager into their home, but also started a GoFundMe page for him on Oct. 22. In just 11 days, that fund has raised over $16,000 for the penniless 18-year-old Kennesaw State University freshman.
nick
The description on the GoFundMe page states that the money in Nick’s bank accounts totaled a “significant sum,” and explained that Nick’s parents “used the fact that his bank accounts were “custodial accounts” to take all his funds, taking the considerable amount he had saved up over the past 3 years working as a bag boy at Publix.
Bevers explained in a statement on the GoFundMe page, “[Nick] has felt that the people most responsible for loving and protecting him through anything have turned their backs and don’t care where he’s sleeping, or how he’s going to feed himself.” He added, “We’re working to show Nick that he is loved, even by strangers. That the horrible acts of some people will not be enough to stop him, and that with the help of people everywhere, he can get through this.”
He has no home, no car, thus no way to get back and forth to his school, and no money. We have taken him in, and are committed to keeping him on track. But he will need to find a place to live soon (He is welcome on our couch as long as he needs, but everyone deserves a bed to call their own) and a car to help him get around. Had his parents not emptied his accounts, he could have paid a deposit, got into an apartment, and found a new car, but he was left with nothing.
Nick’s GoFundMe page had been flooded with messages of support for the disowned teen. In a video message to his supporters, Nick said, “You guys pretty much saved my life.” He added: “This whole thing started when my stepmom caught wind of me being bisexual,” he said. “I don’t know where she got her information from, but I know it wasn’t from me. She didn’t like that and neither did my dad. I got told some very vulgar and disgusting things… That’s why I didn’t tell them, because I wasn’t ready. And I didn’t tell them for the exact reaction I was scared about, and that’s exactly what happened.”
Watch Nick’s thank you video below:

The messages of support were just as incredible as the overwhelming generosity for the disowned teen.
Warren wrote on the GoFundMe page: “I don’t have enough money for rent, but I am going to figure out a way to donate some money. IT GETS BETTER! I was an “ally” in high school and in turn got almost as much crap as the homosexual kids. Please keep your head up. We all love you!
Timothy writes: “Nick, I was disowned by my father and was told by him that I should commit suicide when it was discovered I was gay. The reason I’m telling you this is to KEEP YOUR CHIN UP and to share my strength and hope that IT GETS BETTER! They do not deserve to be in your life. Your father and STEPMOTHER don’t know the meaning of the word love.
Jennifer writs: “My thoughts are with you. Don’t let the actions of you parents stop you from becoming an amazing person. You have the world (well, most of) supporting you and your dreams.


The Huffington Post reports that Nick will use the money to register for spring semester and hopes to put the remainder of it towards a new vehicle.

Comments