Chick-Fil-A and The All Mighty Dollar


   

It wasn’t my first job, but during my senior year of high school I worked at a local Chick-Fil-A. Johnson City was a small (ish) town and it was a big deal when a Chick-Fil-A opened a franchise across town. It was almost a novelty. And I swear, they put something addictive in the chicken sandwiches they serve, something that could convince me that even though my commute to school took twenty minutes, and I was already running five minutes late, that I still had time to veer off course to purchase a chicken biscuit before class.
Everyone I worked with at the franchise was great and the management was very understanding regarding all of our after school commitments. A lot of the staff was in the high school marching band with me and never once did they complain about us having every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and the occasional Saturday off. And so I stayed until I began college.
Now, in spite of my initial adoration for the food and the company that once treated me so well, I can’t stand the sight of their clever cows in commercials and the thought of a chicken biscuit makes my stomach churn. I could never support a business that so blatantly works to deny me and other LGBT citizens equal rights. And it pains me to learn of other family members and friends that continue to frequent the establishment, friends and family members who are incredibly supportive of  me and the LGBT movement.
According to Equality Matters, Chick-Fil-A donated close to $2 Million dollars to organizations in 2009 that don’t support LGBT rights. But the business states it’s not anti-anyone. They want everyone to spend their money in their franchises, gay and straight alike. Personally, I choose to spend my $5 on a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy’s over an original chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A.
Food trucks have become the latest fad in Washington DC, for people trapped in locations that don’t offer lunch time variety around their places of business. In April 2012, Chick-Fil-A will join the rank and file of other food trucks. Part of me really wants to ask, what is Chick-Fil-A thinking, bringing their business to one of the most gay friendly, politically active places in the nation?
College and university students have successfully fought Chick-Fil-A from opening franchises on their campus. Students are outraged by the business leaders using their financial muscle, donating to organizations that bully and spread lies about LGBT people. Organizations that fight to prevent same-sex couples from enjoying equal protection under the law. I’d go a step further and say these lies fuel the hate and fear that can in turn cause people to act violently toward members of the gay community.
Everyone knows someone who is gay, even if you don’t think you do. And everyone is affected by a senseless acts of violence. While it was incredibly moving to participate in a silent march with members of my community last week in response to the recent anti-gay violence in the District, such atrocities shouldn’t happen to any person or community. No, I don’t know their attacker’s specific motivations, but I do believe that at the root of hate is fear and ignorance. And the organizations that Chick-Fil-A donates their money to does feed this fear and ignorance.
Consumers have the power to decide which companies fail and which succeed. We have the power to decide what type of future we want based on how we spend and donate our money. Susan G. Komen learned this lesson the hard way when they pulled funding from Planned Parenthood. In the months since their announcement and the reinstatement of the funds to Planned Parenthood, multiple executives at Susan G. Komen have stepped down and the organization remains in the spotlight.
Here in Washington, I believe we can do the same thing. We can show Chick-Fil-A that we won’t tolerate their business practice of supporting anti-gay organizations. Let’s join hands, link arms, and boycott the original chicken sandwich. It might seem overwhelming or maybe even pointless, after all, how far does $5 go? But you, and me, and your neighbor, and their neighbor, and the stranger on the street, etc. We all add up. The loss in their profit margin will be felt and in turn will translate into fewer dollars to spread their negative, anti-gay agenda.
LGBT people face enough adversity in the world, with the laws that marginalize us and discriminate against us. It’s difficult enough to come out, be visible, and not become a target. On April 9, and the days that follow, let’s show Chick-Fil-A that we won’t turn a blind eye. 

Comments