More On Cynthia Nixon and Her Gay 'Choice Words'


 Cynthia Nixon

Actress Cynthia Nixon has spoken out to clarify comments she made about her sexuality after she infuriated activists by suggesting she "chose" to be gay.

The Sex and the City star spent 15 years with Danny Mozes, the father of her two children, before she struck up a lesbian relationship with her current partner, Christine Marinoni.

In a recent interview with the New York Times Magazine, Nixon opened up about her personal life, revealing, "For me, it (homosexuality) is a choice. I understand that for many people it's not, but, for me, it's a choice, and you don't get to define my gayness for me."

The remark sparked outrage among gay rights campaigners, and Nixon has now released a statement to clarify her comments.

She says, "My recent comments in The New York Times were about me and my personal story of being gay. I believe we all have different ways we came to the gay community and we can't and shouldn't be pigeon-holed into one cultural narrative which can be uninclusive (sic) and disempowering.

"However... I would like to clarify: While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship...

"I do... believe that most members of our community - as well as the majority of heterosexuals - cannot and do not choose the gender of the persons with whom they seek to have intimate relationships because, unlike me, they are only attracted to one sex.

"Our community is not a monolith, thank goodness, any more than America itself is. I look forward to and will continue to work toward the day when America recognizes all of us as full and equal citizens."

WENN.COM


Comments