{Marriage Equality} Gay Marriage Coming to Washington State


I remember the fight in Washington of wether they could get Domestic partnership or Not. I remember Microsoft coming on the wrong side of the issue. I remember how I came on the wrong side of Microsoft_I bought my first Apple computer. Microsoft changed it’s mind and time passed.  It's a different day today!
 Washington is poised to get Equal Marriage. The people there have put the right politicians in power and the majority of the people see the unfairness of Domestic partnership and denying a whole class of people composed of millions  a denial of something that even convicted felons in jail have. The right to legally marry, to have the same rights as everybody else. Throw religion, politics, god, the devil anything you can think of is has been thrown into this issue. But the fact remains, is a matter of fairness. Most people try to be fair and this has cause this issue to be on the right side of history. adamfoxie*
The following is the posting from Google News:
The northwestern US state of Washington looks set to become the seventh in the nation to allow gay marriage, after a lawmaker who holds the decision-making balance came out in favor.
Mary Margaret Haugen, a Democrat, said she had thought long and hard before deciding which way to cast her vote, which should ensure passage of a bill granting equal marriage rights to gay couples.
"I have very strong Christian beliefs... For me personally, I have always believed in traditional marriage between a man and a woman. That is what I believe, to this day," she said, explaining the decision on her website.
"But this issue isn't about just what I believe. It's about respecting others, including people who may believe differently than I. It's about whether everyone has the same opportunities for love and companionship and family and security that I have enjoyed."
Speaking after hundreds of people attended a debate on Senate Bill 6239, which would allow same-sex marriage, she said she would prefer the issue to be put to a referendum, but did not know if that would be possible.
"So, forced to make a choice, my choice is to allow all men and women in our state to enjoy the same privileges that are so important in my life. I will vote in favor of marriage equality.
"I know this announcement makes me the so-called 25th vote, the vote that ensures passage. That's neither here nor there. If I were the first or the seventh or the 28th vote, my position would not be any different.
She added: "I happen to be the 25th because I insisted on taking this much time to hear from my constituents and to sort it out for myself, to reconcile my religious beliefs with my beliefs as an American, as a legislator, and as a wife and mother who cannot deny to others the joys and benefits I enjoy.
"This is the right vote and it is the vote I will cast when this measure comes to the floor."
Six US states -- Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York and Vermont -- plus the District of Columbia already allow same-sex marriage, but the issue remains highly controversial.
A group of 80 US mayors -- including New York's Michael Bloomberg, Chicago's Rahm Emanuel, Antonio Villaraigosa from Los Angeles and Annise Parker from Houston -- last week unveiled a campaign to win support for same sex marriage.





Comments