UPDATE: Troy Mi. Mayor Loves “Queer" but Hates The Queers



Ashley Sadlier, 19, a Troy resident and freshman at Oakland University, holds a rainbow flag that says “Pace” -- peace, in Italian -- amid other protesters today on Big Beaver Road outside Troy City Hall. The group, which had as many as 40 at times, objected to a Facebook statement by new Troy mayor Janice Daniels that criticized gay marriage and referred to gays as “queers.” / BILL LAITNER/Detroit Free Press
A group that varied in size from 20 to 40 throughout the afternoon stood on Big Beaver Road in front of Troy City Hall today -- amid wind and rain that changed to snow flurries -- to protest Troy's new mayor Janice Daniels' use of the homosexual slur "queers" on her Facebook page.
In a protest gathering organized by Troy High School students, students, a few parents and some adults from outside the city called for her resignation, hours before Daniels was to preside at her third City Council meeting since being elected Nov. 8.
"Even though we were too young to vote her in, we don't think we're too young to take her out of her office, or at least make her aware of the problem," said Skye Curtis, 17, a senior at Troy High School and cofounder of the school's two-month-old Gay-Straight Alliance student group.
Daniels' Facebook posting, dated June 25, told her followers: "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there." Her post came a day after New York state legislators voted to allow gay marriage in the state.
Daniels was excoriated over the weekend by Internet posters for not only making the statement but, in effect, defending it Friday when she said, "I still believe that marriage is between one man and one woman." Today, she said she met with some of the protesters and apologized.
"I explained to them that this is a perfect opportunity for all of us to learn how it important it is to choose our words carefully. I'm human, I made a mistake, but I feel I did the right thing — I admitted my mistake, I apologized," she said. Daniels said she asked for the protesters help in making the city a better place.
"We need to work together now to overcome the hurt ... I'm a good person. I want to do good things for Troy," she said.
Daniels' apology was accepted until she said that queer "is just a word," said Zach Kilgore, 17, also a senior at Troy High School. 
"That shows she just does not understand. We had a pretty calm conversation and then it erupted into people screaming at her and calling her bully and kind of forcing her out of the building," said Kilgore, who said he organized the protest that he hoped would continue into tonight's City Council meeting that starts at 7:30 p.m. inside City Hall.
"We need to show the region -- and now the country, because this is national news -- that we aren't this bigoted community," Kilgore said.
While the protesters stood outside 200 yards away, inside Troy City Hall were three adults stood with a sign about what they said was the inviolability of heterosexual marriage.
Last week mayor Janice Daniels of Troy, Mich., garnered media attention for homophobic comments she made on Facebook six months ago. After New York City legalized gay marriage Daniels wrote, "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there."
"It's the law of God and the law of the land," said the sign held by Mary Mills, 69, of Clarkston.
Once her comments made the national news, Daniels took to Facebook again and wrote that her post "may have not been the most appropriate language," theDetroit News reported
"It’s my persona belief that marriage is between one man and one woman. I love people, but I want to acknowledge my First Amendment right to speak freely. I know that as mayor, I represent all of the people in this city."
Her "apologies" were not good enough for her regular employer, Century 21, which announced that they have fired Daniels, according to the Daily Tribune.
Last week mayor Janice Daniels of Troy, Mich., garnered media attention for homophobic comments she made on Facebook six months ago. After New York City legalized gay marriage Daniels wrote, "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there."
 Advertisement
Once her comments made the national news, Daniels took to Facebook again and wrote that her post "may have not been the most appropriate language," theDetroit News reported
"It’s my persona belief that marriage is between one man and one woman. I love people, but I want to acknowledge my First Amendment right to speak freely. I know that as mayor, I represent all of the people in this city."
Her "apologies" were not good enough for her regular employer, Century 21, which announced that they have fired Daniels, according to the Daily Tribune.
 Advertise
"The mayor happens to be a friend of mine. We're both in the Tea Party," Mills said.

UPDATE:  The Mayor was just fired by her part time employer Century 21 Over the remarks and the firestorm that followed. They wanted nothing to do with the whole issue..
  

Comments