Troy Mi. Mayor Janice Daniels } Trouble Waters For Anti-Gay FB Page

Troy’s new mayor Janice Daniels — a longtime activist in Michigan’s Tea Party — went on the defensive today less than two weeks into her term when Internet viewers found what many called a gay-bashing sentiment on Daniels’ Facebook page.
In a post dated June 25, Daniels shared with her Facebook followers the line: “I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there.” Daniels’ post came a day after New York State lawmakers, on June 24, voted to have their state allow gay marriages.
Gay rights leaders in Michigan said Daniels’ words amounted to hate speech. Denise Brogan-Kator, executive director of Equality Michigan, said on her own Facebook page: “I find it discouraging that a leader of people can have such disregard for the lives of people she serves.”
Troy Mayor Janice Daniels is being criticized for a comment posted on her Facebook page against gay marriage. The comment said, "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there." / Facebook
Troy Mayor Janice Daniels
In a phone interview tonight, Brogan-Kator added that Daniels “didn’t say it as mayor, but it’s been pointed out to her and she’s defending it today.” Brogan-Kator cited a story on Troy Patch in which Daniels defended her right to speak against gay marriage.
Some gays use the word "queer” as way “to reclaim a word that has historically been used to hurt us,” Brogan-Kator said. But, “clearly, from the context, this is not what Mayor Daniels intended,” she said, calling Daniels’ use of the word “shameful.” Daniels’ Facebook post had been shared more than 180 times as of tonight, and has drawn many critical comments on the social media site from across the country, and across metro Detroit.
Daniels, reached Friday night, said: “I was speaking for myself. It’s my personal belief that marriage is between one man and one woman, (but) as mayor I know I represent all of the people in this city.”
Linda Kajma, 60, a 37-year Troy resident who said she voted for Daniels’ opponent in the Nov. 8 election, said she was upset by the comment. “She passed herself off as a Christian and a person of integrity during the campaign, and now the real Janice is showing her colors,” Kajma said.
Daniels was sworn in as mayor on November 14.
Robyn Lapointe, 51 of Warren, said anyone wanting to become a public official should not make such a comment.
"Her words were totally inappropriate," Lapointe said of Daniels' post. 
Contact BILL LAITNER: 586-826-7264 or blaitner@freepress.com

Comments