Stephen Fry Opens Up About Bipolar Says 'One Day I may kill myself'



Advertisement
stephen-fry.jpg
Stephen Fry has opened up about his bipolar disorder, saying he finds the demands of fame 'exhausting' and that he may one day kill himself.
In an interview with Sky Arts, the 53-year-old broadcaster said: 'The fact that I am lucky enough not to have it so seriously doesn't mean I won't one day kill myself - I may well.'
Fry came close to committing suicide in 1995 after walking out of the West End play Cell Mates, which had suffered poor reviews.
He fled Britain by ferry and was missing, feared dead, for a week before he resurfaced in Belgium.
He later revealed that he almost gassed himself in his car before escaping the country, but 'I had this image of my parents staring right in at me... 
so I decided not to do it'.
Elsewhere in the interview Fry admits he finds fame 'exhausting', saying: 'most of the time the phone rings, most of the time there's an email, most of the time there's a letter, someone wants something of you.
'They want to touch the hem of the fame, not the hem of the person.'
Despite being constantly on Twitter, he added that he feels 'over-exposed' and would 'just like to be in the country making pork pies and chutneys and never have to poke my head out of the parapet'.
On the Sky Arts programme In Confidence, Fry also talks about his 15-year addiction to cocaine, revealing he used to take it to enhance his enjoyment of crossword puzzles.

Comments