Skip to main content

Mitt Romney Gays are To Blame For His Opposition To Gay Marriage



BY ON TOP 
MAGAZINE 
STAFF 
 


GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has
 called the Massachusetts gay community
 inconsistent on gay rights, suggesting it is
 to blame for his opposition to gay marriage.
The former one-term Massachusetts governor
who last week formally declared for the 2012
 GOP presidential nomination appears Tuesday 
night on CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight.
In a clip released by the cable network, Morgan
 asks the Republican to clarify his position on
 gay rights, prompting Romney to go on the
 defensive, blaming activists for altering their
wants.
“When you say you're in favor of gay rights,
you're not, you're in favor of some,” Morgan
said, then added, “Am I right?”
“What happened was the gay community
changed their perspective as to what they
wanted,” Romney answered.
“When I ran for governor, one of the big
issues was marriage, gay marriage. My opponent
said she'd sign a bill in favor of gay marriage.
I said that I would not. I oppose same-sex marriage.”
Romney added that he opposes workplace
discrimination based on sexual orientation,
noting that he appointed several judges who
 later came out gay.
“For instance, as the governor, I had members
 of my team that were gay. I appointed a couple
of judges who apparently I found out were gay.
Look, I didn't ask people their sexual orientation.”
When Morgan asked Romney if his Mormon
 faith means “that you view homosexuality as
a sin,” Romney took a pass.
“That's something that you can take up with
 the church. I'm not a spokesman for my church,”
 he said.

Comments