Evan Rachel Wood, "True Blood" Comes Out


 
lgbt evan rachel wood
Evan Rachel Wood announces she's bisexual | photo source: Vanity Fair
Evan Rachel Wood, the 23-year-old star of the hit series “True Blood,” seized the opportunity toannounce her bisexuality during an interview for the latest issue of Esquire magazine. Wood is the latest in a string of popular celebrities to come out of the closet, joining other actors including Amber Heard and Anna Paquin in speaking up about her personal life and supporting LGBT equality.
“I’m up for anything,” Wood told Esquire. “Meet a nice guy, meet a nice girl…guys, girls…I’m into androgyny in general.”
Amber Heard, most well known for her role in “Pineapple Express,” came out at GLAAD’s 25th Anniversary celebration in December and proudly walked the red carpet with her girlfriend of two years, photographer and artist Tasya van Ree. Heard expressed her desire to come out for the sake of LGBT rights, and explained that “when I became aware of my role in the media, I had to ask myself an important question, ‘Am I part of the problem?’”
“I think that the injustice of people staying in the closet is more than I can bear with a clear conscience, and I couldn’t sleep at night if I was a part of that problem, if I was part of the lies,” Heard concluded.
Anna Paquin, Wood’s “True Blood” co-star, came out as bisexual last spring in a public service announcement for the “Give a Damn” campaign for LGBT equality. After appearing on behalf of the campaign, Paquin opened up: “I’m not someone who endlessly talks about her personal life for no reason, but obviously, as someone who identifies as bisexual, those are issues I really care about — and frankly, I don’t see why everyone doesn’t care about them,” Paquin explained in an interview with the blog Zap2it.
“It wasn’t like it was a big secret. It was just a cause I cared about and privately supported, but not one that I had ever had an opportunity to speak out about in a way that would be useful,” she said.

Comments