Human League: 'Glee exec was out of order'


The Human League
© PA Images
Phil Oakey of The Human League has said that Glee executive producer Ryan Murphy was "out of order" for criticizing groups who ban their music from his show.

The singer-songwriter explained that he was happy that his own band's 1981 hit 'Don't You Want Me' was used in second season episode 'Blame It On the Alcohol', but maintained that musicians should be free to choose whether or not their material is covered on the Fox comedy.

Kings of Leon were criticized by Murphy for refusing to let the show feature their hit 'Use Somebody' and the rock group later received support from ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash and Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl.

Oakey told DS: "The producer was really a bit out of order with them. It's their music. If they wanna ban it from being in there I think they've got a right to ban it from being in there.

"But I think that Glee is something like us because we always wanted to be a bit more theatrical. We're not rock. Almost the only point of The Human League is that we're not rock, so to fit into that stage thing seems alright."

His bandmate Susan Ann Sulley added: "I quite like it. I quite like that they've done it."

Joanne Catherall said: "I love Glee. It's so camp. I just think it's fantastic. I think it's good that they've done a song of ours.

"Through the series they're charting different sorts of music and I think I would have been slightly annoyed - because we have got a place in pop history - I would have been miffed about it if they hadn't popped us in somewhere."


By Mayer Nissim,
http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/s57/glee/news



Comments