Skip to main content

In 'It Gets Better' Video, MSNBC's Thomas Roberts Says He Attempted Suicide




In an It Gets Better video, Thomas Roberts, the openly gay anchor on
 MSNBC, says he attempted suicide at age 15.
The It Gets Better Project encourages troubled gay teens to hang in
 there and not cave in to bullies, because life gets better.
“At 15 I unsuccessfully attempted suicide,” the handsome 38-year-
old Roberts says. “Luckily, my sister found me and saved my life. 
My family, they rallied around me, but I couldn't tell them what had
 brought me to that point. But I saw first-hand the pain in their eyes
 and I realized that suicide wasn't the answer.”
Roberts, who previously acknowledged that he was a victim of sexual 
abuse, tells gay teens that “You're here for a purpose.”
“You've got to know and believe that you are here for a purpose, 
I promise that you are – just the way you are,” he says. (The video is 
embedded in the right panel of this page.)
Other celebrities who have added their voices to the collection
 include singer Adam LambertMax Adler, who plays a bully on Glee
BY ON TOP MAGAZINE STAFF 
PUBLISHED: NOVEMBER 30, 2010

Comments