Skip to main content

'Brothers & Sisters'' Ron Rifkin Told Producers To 'Bring On' The Gay




PUBLISHED: SEPTEMBER 25, 2010
Ron Rifkin says he was charged up when producers of ABC's Sunday dramaBrothers & Sisters asked him to play gay.
says he relished the opportunity to play the part.
“One of the reasons I was interested in exploring this character is we
 don't often see a guy my age gay on television, explored in an intelligent, dignified, funny serious way,” the 70-year-old actor said.
“So, I thought, when [Producer] David [Marshall Grant] approached me
 with it three years ago and said, what if Saul's gay? I said, bring it on.”
The Emmy-nominated drama was already breaking ground with an
 ongoing romance between Kevin (Matthew Rhys) and Scotty
 (Luke Macfarlane).
“There are already two gay characters on the show – 'Oh, my God,
 three gay characters? No. The old guy? No, I don't know,'” Rifkin said.
 “So it's been sort of a struggle, if you understand what I mean. It's been a struggle to really identify this character and give him some weight.”
In the final frames of the drama's fourth season finale, viewers learn 
that Uncle Saul is HIV-positive. Veteran actor Stephen Collins, 62, will
 guest star this season to help Saul come to terms with the diagnosis.
Brothers & Sisters returns to ABC on Sunday, September 26.
BY ON TOP MAGAZINE STAFF 

Bookmark and Share

Comments