Are You Good giving advise? Here is your chance: My Boyfriend Is Afraid of The L Word

The following question comes from a reader who does not wish to be identified. If you have advise for him you can post it below. All comments will be pass on to the guy "L". Something to remember: All comments are moderated.  Because of it there is a delay on the comment to appear. Average time for today is less than five minutes.


"I've been dating a guy for 3 months now.  We see each other 2-3 days a week, and spend a couple nights a week at each others places.  We have done a lot together, spent entire weekends together, went on a romantic road trip for 4 days/3 nights together up in wine country.  We've painted my bedroom together, put a desk together, and cooked a lot of meals together.  We've bought each other flowers, helped each other through some difficult days at work, and we made a vow of exclusivity (sexually) to each other (we are not using condoms after both getting tested together).   We've met each others friends, and spent time with them in group settings, and our facebook status says we are in a relationship with each other.  When we are together, he will frequently randomly kiss me or put his hand on my leg while I'm driving, he's a very affectionate person which is exactly what I enjoy.  We have never had any conflicts, we both get along so well and with ease that it is just such a pleasure and a joy to be together.  We respect each other, give each other our space, trust each other (no jealousy), and everything is just picture perfect!"

However, my guy is afraid to tell me that he loves me.   As I grow closer and become more attached to him, it starts to eat away at it me that he can't verbalize his feelings for me.  I have told him a few times that I love him, and I told him again yesterday.  His response was "I know you do" and he gave me a kiss and smiled at me. 

I don't want to push him and make him say something he is not ready to say.  I know he told me early on when we started dating that he has been hurt a lot in the past, and he's afraid of being hurt again.    I'm not sure what to do.  For the most part, I think continuing to show my love for him and patiently waiting for his walls to come down might be the way to go, but sometimes I ask myself am I setting myself up to get hurt? Well who am I kidding, I am already there regardless of where this goes!   

Should I ask him how he is feeling about our relationship and where we are going, or will that push him away?
Should I give him more time to fall in love with me?

Bookmark and Share

Comments