Adam Barta Goes VIP


Adam Barta Goes VIP 




by http://goothmag.com



Former boy-bander Adam Barta is all grown
 up now,
 hitting the Billboard and Logo Click List
 charts and
 working with the industry’s top producers. 
The Bronx-born performer is being compared
 to
 Lambert and Gaga and is hitting the ground running 
on the gay scene with his most recent smash hit “VIP.”






Gooth: You've had a number of dance/club hits. Describe the feeling 
you get when 
you're in the recording studio. Which song was your favorite to record?
 Which one
 are you most proud of?

Barta: Recording is a mixed bag for me. It can be fun and exciting but it 
also can be pretty
 grueling and emotionally draining. However, when you walk away with 
something that's 
amazing, it's all totally worth it. To really get into the heart of song, you
 have to emotionally
 be able to connect with the words, and when you are in a studio, you 
have a chance to do 
that and really make it perfect. The only problem is, if something’s off, 
you have to repeat it,
 over and over. Redrawing out that emotion each time can take a lot 
out of you, but it’s the 
most rewarding. The song I am most proud of would be "Q&A."
 I got to work with Mr. Mig,
 who has produced for everyone from Akon to Taylor Swift. We wanted
 to change up my
 sound a bit from dance to more R&B pop and have it be more 
emotionally intense.
 I wrote it about a past love, and using those kinds of experiences 
often makes the best
 music because they have the most passion put into them, and thus 
more people can really 
connect to them, which is what it’s all about. The one that was my 
favorite to record would 
have to be "VIP." I got to work two awesome producers, Mysto and 
Pizzi, who are totally 
hot right now on the scene (they've produced tracks for R. Kelly, 
Kelly Rowland and more!). 
If you aren't having fun while you are singing about popping bottles 
and kissing lots, there’s
 something wrong.

G: What do you have to say about celebrities/artists who stay in 
the closet, as well as
 those who eventually come out (most recently Vanessa Carlton
 and Ricky Martin come 
to mind)? Are we past the age where sexuality matters for
 a high-profile individual?

B: Who knew Vanessa Carlton was gay! She’s incredibly talented
 (and so is Ricky for that matter)
 so maybe there’s something to be said for the gay "gene" adding 
a bit of artistic genius, LOL. 
But seriously, I don't consider myself openly gay in the regard that
 if I chose to have a girlfriend,
 I'd want people to be okay with that in the same regard as if I chose
 to have a boyfriend. We as 
artists shouldn't have to hide WHO we are but it's OK I think to 
acknowledge or ask that what we 
do in our personal lives is sacred to us. I really believe in taking away
 the brand from
 "straight vs. gay" artists and just make it about the music and art 
above anything else. People 
like Gaga and Lambert are doing that, and following on a trend that 
I think Grace Jones and Bowie 
started so many years ago, infusing this hybrid of glam-rock with
 pop with everything else and not 
have it be "gay" but just overall COOL. I think any artist--straight 
or gay--needs to embrace the fans
 and the people who love their music. And that might be the best 
way to move forward with a big step 
for equality for all of us. The gay community has been amazing to me,
 and I want to do as much as
 I can back to love them.

G: You have said you wanted to be a performer since you
 were a little boy. 
But performing and being a professional performer are
 two different things.
 How, when and why did you decide that is what you 
wanted to do for a living?

B: I think it was just a natural progression for me. The business 
aspect of it pains me 
sometimes, and it gets so distracting from the art part of it, 
which is why I'm so lucky 
to have such a great team behind me. My manager Shaun
 (Shakir Entertainment)
 and publicist Robyn (R*Star Publicity) have both been a
 blessing in helping to keep 
my career on path. But I think in order for me to do it as much
 as I love, I had to
 make it my career, otherwise I'd never be able to do things on
 the grand scale that
 I want. I have this vision for myself doing a full concert on tour, 
and so many cool 
concepts I want to share, but the only way for that to happen is 
to financially and 
successfully get to the place where I'm able to do it with my 
own creative control.

G: Are you single? Looking, or open to the possibility?
 Is it difficult to develop
 and maintain relationships when people already have
 a preconceived notion of 
who you are before they meet you?

B: Single, definitely open to the possibility! It can be hard to 
meet people, even as friends, 
because both guys and girls can latch on for the wrong reasons, 
sometimes without even 
realizing they are liking the performer and not the real me. 
And even if they don't know 
who I am, it’s always hard to tell someone that my music is 
so involved in my life, without
 knowing how they will react. I've actually gone on dates where 
people have told me they 
couldn’t date me because they felt intimidated. But it’s no different 
than dating a doctor who
 may be on call most of the time, or a lawyer dedicated to a case.
 Passion drives me, 
and I’d want someone to
respect that.

G: What are a few songs in your iTunes collection that people
 would be surprised you have?

B: Randomly, "As the World Falls Down" by David Bowie (from the movie
"Labyrinth"), "Milk" by Garbage, "Amnesty" by SK8.

G: I heard you’re performing at "Market Days" in Chicago in August.
 Can you elaborate?

B: I'm currently working on a new single with Carlprit, the rapper from Cascada’s 
"Evacuate the 
Dancefloor." We are meeting with a few record labels later this month regarding 
it and I'm really 
feeling good about it. Market Days is one of the biggest gay street festivals in 
the country held 
every year, and I'm honored to be one of the headliners this year along with Joan 
Jett, Jon Secada, 
Blake Lewis, Jennifer Holliday and White Tie Affair. I'm performing Sunday, 
August 8th, 
on the big stage. I'm putting together a 40-minute set like I've never done before. 
My two dancers, 
Dana (who has danced for the NY Knicks) and Katie and I are going to be doing 
everything from 
a jazzed-up version of my dance single "I Wanna Hold You" set to the song 
"Fever" to a 
dominatrix-ish style "VIP." I'm definitely excited to put together an actual story 
and show to go
 with the songs than just performing them, and hopefully this is just the start.

GOOTHmag.com MAGAZINE








Bookmark and Share

Comments