Gay Obama Heckler Arrested


Obama Interupted x390 (Getty) I Advocate.comKip Williams, cofounder of the gay rights group GetEqual, was arrested afterheckling President Obamaat a Barbara Boxer fund-raiser in San Francisco Tuesday night.

Williams was objecting to the White House’s plan for repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” which doesn’t mandate an immediate end to the military’s antigay policy. 

After looking to Boxer, the president responded, “If he wants to demonstrate, he should buy a ticket to a guy who doesn’t support his point of view and then you can yell as much as you want there.”
According to the blog Pam's House Blend, Williams told journalist Rex Wockner, "I was arrested, cited and released. Disturbing the peace. ... It was the first time I've done something like that by myself. ... I was close enough to see Obama's face. I worked so hard on his campaign and I still believe in him and I support him, and I wish I didn't have to have that exchange with him, and I saw the anger on his face when I started speaking. But I'm angry too, and I can't be silent."

See video of the incident and an interview with Williams at Towleroad.

Bookmark and Share

Comments