DROPS 'DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL' AMENDMENT

ALCEE HASTINGS DROPS 'DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL' AMENDMENT UNDER PRESSURE FROM WHITE HOUSE AND COLLEAGUES

Rep. Alcee Hastings withdrew a defense spending bill amendment that would have forbidden the use of funds to carry out gay military discharges under the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy (thus effectively halting them) "under pressure from the White House and colleagues," according to the Miami Herald.

Said Hastings: "Due to pressure from some of my congressional colleagues and from the White House, I have withdrawn my amendment. I would, however, like to note that it is most unfortunate that we are not addressing `don’t ask, don’t tell’ at this time. I realize that this issue is considered controversial, but it shouldn’t be. The vast majority of Americans not only support the inclusion of gay service members in the military, but also the repeal of `don’t ask, don’t tell.’’’

He added: "What is the holdup, then? Last month, 76 of my colleagues and I sent a letter to President Obama urging him to take leadership on this issue and to work together with Congress to repeal this law. More than a month later, I have yet to receive an official response."

Rachel Maddow wonders the same thing, AFTER THE JUMP...
This is from Towelroad

Comments